skidding logs

/ skidding logs #31  
I went down today to try this out on two logs I already had pulled out, one was 28” diameter on the small end and the other was 32”. Apparently my tongs aren’t big enough. They wouldn’t slip down far enough and just slid up when I tried to pick up. I’ll look for a larger set this week.
Need to get a couple cat chokers. They works great for what you're doing. Much more secure, stronger and less expensive than tongs and usually not much harder, if any, to use.

/ skidding logs #32  
Can someone explain to me how you use this style choker, I understand about the chain hook wrapping around log but fail to see how you attach choker to tractor to pull....

81oVrytkQsL.jpg

/ skidding logs #34  
or on the cable there are slides that a chain can be attached to:

1695056085516.png

/ skidding logs #35  
Or you can put one of these on the end of your winch cable

Swivel-End-Fitter-T3small.png

the cable goes in one side of the opening you can barely see on the lower left, loops around inside and comes back out the other side. There's a wedge inside the body that locks the cable in place. It's a reuseable way to terminate a cable. They make them with grab hooks as well as the keyhole. Or you can make a short chain with a grab hook on the end.

/ skidding logs #36  
Put the choker chain on the log and then attach it to a regular chain that has a hook on each end with one hook attached to a clevis on the drawbar.

/ skidding logs #40  
If I have grab hook on end of chain I can wrap around log and "hook", why do I need a "choker"....
The choker hook allows the chain to self-tension around the log when you pull it. It's not necessary to buy the entire choker chain assembly. You can replace one of the regular hooks on a normal chain with one of these. Amazon.com