skidding logs

/ skidding logs #41  
Just following this subject......I don't do much log dragging. ... It seems to me that there two different situations here......One is the use of a winch....Two is just dragging from the drawbar.........and maybe.... Three is an effort to keep the butt up out of the dirt per sawing. Safety and labor and time are other issues. Looks like all have been addressed. 0.2 cents

Cheers,
Mike

/ skidding logs #42  
Can someone explain to me how you use this style choker, I understand about the chain hook wrapping around log but fail to see how you attach choker to tractor to pull....

View attachment 821999
You mount a grab hook on your tractor, or plate with slots cut into it that the chain will drop in to

It's actually designed to be used with a logging winch. You would put the choker on the log then grab the chain with the hook on the end of the winch line or one of the sliders on the winch cable. If you are interested you can see it in use this video I made a while back. The description of the set up for log winching starts at about the 3:00 minute mark, with a bit of detail of the choker on a log starting at about 3:40 and a better shot of the keyhole slider on the cable for grabbing an additional choker starting at about 6:00. (No fancy videography or editing here, and I'm not looking for subscriptions to my YouTube channel. This was just made for a friend who was curious about a Crop Tree Release project I was working on in my woods.)

/ skidding logs #43  
Yes, normally used with a skidding winch, but you can get creative with them. The long "stick" on the end allows you to thread it under the log easily and then you hook the chain back through the slide hook and the tail hangs out with some chain and the stick that you can either hook onto a skidding winch cable hook or grab with a grab hook on another chain or cable. Just make sure you orient the slide hook so the chain doesn't want to fall out when you pull it. A lot of times the hook has a crook bent in it so it wants to poke back up after threading under the log and not dig into the ground too much. Trying to get a plain old chain under a log that doesn't have a gap below it is very difficult...

/ skidding logs #44  
I made a simple cart using a couple old lawn mower tires. It has a 3' tongue that is ratchet strapped to the tree.
1-IMG_9964.jpg

/ skidding logs #45  
I'd buck the oak into firewood lengths and bring them home by trailer or front-end loader. (Leaves the rubbish in the woods, too, rather than importing it.)

/ skidding logs #46  
all of the trees we move are in hardwood river bottoms, we don't have any elevation changes to speak of, the only time I can think of that being an issue would be a creek crossing. I would have to look closer at the tractor but I believe the quick hitch would keep it from going into a tire and the draw bar being extended should keep it from hitting any thing else on the tractor. the log would have to be lifted very high to get above the draw bar and I don't think I have that much 3pt lift.

Thank you for bringing that up, I really don't want to tear something up!
Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to build something :cool: , so maybe fabricate a shield to fit the drawbar. That should ensure no log would get away and try to push you.

/ skidding logs #47  
When I was clearing land, I pushed trees down with my excavator, cut the root ball off and wrapped chains around the base of tree, attached to the boxblade and just dragged the whole tree with kioti 7320. Farthest I dragged was 300 yds but could easily gone furtherthese were 60 year old spruce, 18-20 inches and some oaks similar size.

If you are only pulling cut logs I doubt you will have any issues

/ skidding logs #48  
We had several oak trees blow over this year and block trails so now I need to move them out. I was thinking of building something but then I saw this picture using a quick hitch and tongs. I have tongs so I could do this for free. any reason why I should build/buy something rather than just do this?

If this is something you plan to do more than once, build something like this log skidder. I made it for pulling logs out of the woods where my tractor can't get to (tight trees and steep hills). It works perfectly. Automatically picks the log off the ground when you move forward. If going down hill, it can't hit you because it will slowly come down and more friction on the ground will slow it to a stop. Stores easily as well. No weight for the tractor (or ATV, UTV, etc) to carry.

/ skidding logs #49  
FWIW, I skid all of my firewood out of the woods as logs (normally 30' to 45') where I use a log arch and winch to load them on my trailer. I cut mostly dead standing hickories, and they are normally in the 14" to 20" range. I do this because I need the tractor (27 hp 1983 Ford 1710) back at the house (45 miles away) to unload the trailer once I get it home. Whenever possible, I skid logs out with my truck (4wd F350). I do have my tractor in the woods a few times a year to bush hog the lanes and do other work, and I do skid logs with it when I need to, but the truck is a LOT faster, and its drivetrain can take a lot more abuse. Even when I have the tractor out, I use the truck as much as possible. I will normally skid 2 to 4 logs out at a time with the truck. With the tractor, I'm limited to one, or maybe 2 at a time depending on the size and length. The deciding factor on truck vs tractor is usually either the location of the tree and/or the ground conditions. I can get the tractor into smaller spaces and it can deal with softer ground conditions. Once I get the logs out to a landing area, I cut them to 15' as I load them on the trailer.

Last edited: