Small Cylinder Search

/ Small Cylinder Search #1  

quarencia

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230 & B3200
I'm looking to add a separate hydraulic lift for my mmm. Not really required, but would be a nice convenience. I need a small cylinder with a 3/4 to 1 inch bore and around 2.5 to 3 inch stroke. I can't find this as a standard item anywhere. Custom built will cost too much for a convenience. Any ideas where I could find one?

Also need it to have internal stops. Rams that have no piston retention will be much harder to incorporate.

Thanks for any help,

/ Small Cylinder Search #2  
There's a guy in Michigan here who sells disassembled JD mowers and sells the used parts. He often has lift cylinders from the JD front mowers that ought to be perfect for your use. In my case, I needed a short cylinder for my snow plow lift. I took a small diameter 20" cylinder and cut it down with a metal wheel using a table saw. I drilled out the ram end, tapped it, and put in a threaded rod end. It now has 9" travel: just what I wanted. The cylinder I chose was a tierod type (2 end caps and 4 threaded rods holding the capped ends together. I took it apart, cut down the cylinder tube, cut down the tie rods, threaded them for the shorter lenght, cut the ram rod, drilled it for the rod end and put it all together. Bingo !

/ Small Cylinder Search
I've looked into the JD mower deck lift cylinders below. I'm running 1850 psi, and I think the JD lawn tractors run significantly less. The cylinders may be rated for more, but I can't get the info to be sure.

I hadn't thought about cutting down a tie rod cylinder. I'd prefer a welded cylinder as I have very limited space, but I'll keep the tie rod idea in mind.

Attachments

• 3480_1.jpg
    3480_1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 127
   / Small Cylinder Search #4  
You can get small stuff like that (or giant) from Miller Fluid Power.
In fact, I think I have a couple small cylinders in the barn. They are off a plastic injection mold. PM me if you're interested and I'll check the sizes, mounting plates, stroke, size etc. in the morning.
Rob-

/ Small Cylinder Search #5  
In fact, I think I have a couple small cylinders in the barn.

Rob, I imagine that size would be outside of your normal implement construction projects. :D

Boy do I know how that is though. You save all kinds of things that are just too good to throw away, and that you might possibly need some day for something, but until then you are going to have to store it and then if you ever do actually need it, it has become ruined by time/deterioration, or more likely for me, you cannot find it.:eek:

Mike

/ Small Cylinder Search #6  
Rob, I imagine that size would be outside of your normal implement construction projects. :D

Boy do I know how that is though. You save all kinds of things that are just too good to throw away, and that you might possibly need some day for something, but until then you are going to have to store it and then if you ever do actually need it, it has become ruined by time/deterioration, or more likely for me, you cannot find it.:eek:

Mike

In my case every time I do a clean-up ,sure enough that item that I hoarded for 10 years but tossed yesterday was exactly right!

At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it. (until I run out of space-again)

/ Small Cylinder Search #7  
Surplus center sells a 1X6 cylinder. It is custom made for them.

Chris

/ Small Cylinder Search #8  
In my case every time I do a clean-up ,sure enough that item that I hoarded for 10 years but tossed yesterday was exactly right!

At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it. (until I run out of space-again)

Yup, same for me!
Been lucky lately though. I actually remembered where some scrap was and used it in a project. I never threw away my broken scarifiers and used them.
Heck, I am never cleaning up again!