Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #11  
That pic gives pucker factor a whole new meaning!

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #12  
Thats the one, I put a JD 450G on its nose like that. Only difference was that I did it in a shallow stream. Its fun standing on the dash /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #13  
My land is part of Camp Fannin. An Army training facility for combat replacement troops during WWII. On the piece of land just across the creek of my place, the army got a sherman tank stuck in the mud. They brought in another sherman to pull it out, and it got stuck also. Being the army, they just left them there.

In the mid 90's the then owner of the land found the tanks. He brought in a backhoe and a crew of workers and managed to get one of them out. The other had a huge tree growing in the middle of it.

I know the backhoe operator who pulled it out. He said there is a half track also stuck on another piece of land that the owners have no idea it's even there. The previous owner of the land new about it and showed it to my friend about 20 years ago. He passed away and the land was sold. The new owner isn't very friendly and nobody has told him about the half track. It's in an overgrown bottomland part of his land that he'll probably never ever go to.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #14  
Now that's stuck........

Wish I had some pictures but I doubt any were ever taken but back in the 70's I helped recover a stuck AVLB from the swamps of Ft Stewart, GA.

For those who don't know, an AVLB is an M60 tank chassis with a bridge on top of it. The bridge weighs 15 tons and I don't remember what the tank weighs.

Anyway, the operator tried to go around a pond throught the woods and only got a few hundred feet before he couldn't go forward anymore. Instead of just backing out, he tried to do a 180 neutral steer and all that did was break the crust and screw the tank into the ground/mud/swamp. Then, he tried to swing from side to side to climb out of the hole he dug. All that did was make it go deeper until he broke the final drive on the right side and locked up the track.

When we got there all I could see was the bridge on top of the tank. Took us two days, one crane and two M88 tank recovery vehicles to get that mess out of the hole and on to high ground.

Then, a couple of weeks later, that same platoon got 3 D7's stuck up to the cab floors on another project. But that's another story......and another fun couple of days with the M88 recovery vehicles.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #15  
I would think some history buffs would like to hear this story.
WWII equipment is a little hard to come by and someone may
like to take a look at it.
Course if the owner isn't freindly, that is an issue....

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't remember what model dragline it was but it was a neat picture. )</font>

Speaking of draglines:
Anyone ever heard of the Big Muskie?

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #17  
Isn't the M88 the vehicle that ole ******'s statue doesn't like? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #18  
I heard of it. Was that the walking dragline? Also, didn't that thing get decommisioned?

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #19  
The Big muskie was one big dragline. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif To bad they turned it into scrap steel /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. What was the other big dragline called?

Joe

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #20  
If I remember right, that was a CEV (Combat Engineer Vehicle) they were using. It is basically a tank with a boom and a dozer blade on it.