Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #21  
I found A cool website on the big muskie big muskie It shows them moving the bucket that weighes 230 tons

Joe

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #22  
I dont remember much about it, but at one time there was a bucket in Muhlenburg county KY (I think) that was at that time the biggest ever. Said to have needed 110 flat beds to move her, so they covered her up.

I used to hunt down that way

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
1*The Big muskie was one big dragline.
2*To bad they turned it into scrap steel
3* What was the other big dragline called? Joe )</font>
*=*=*=*
1*Ohio Power Co. has a coal fired electric power generating plant up the Muskingum River about 25 miles from me. There is a huge reserve of coal deposits in the area.
The Muskie was built to strip the coal from this land to feed the power plant.
There was a long I'm guessing 2 or 3 mile conveyor belt from the mining area down to the power plant to transport the coal to the plant.
In turn there was a 4 inch or larger diameter electric cable from the power plant along the conveyor to the Big Muskie as it was electric powered.
Ohio Power developed several pretty nice camping areas on the land too and I think camping in them is free to the public.
Ohio Power owned the plant the strip mines and the Muskie.I have a picture of my dads new 1955 Chevy parked in the bucket of The big Muskie.
The people standing around the car look like ants in the picture and the car looks like a toy and are dwarfed by the size of the bucket.

2*There was talk of trying to keep the Big Muskie as a monument but the cost of maintenance to keep it preserved would have been astronomical.
Just to keep it cleaned would have been a tremendous expense and a horrendous task.
All was not lost however as the bucket has been preserved. Anybody need a bucket for their tractor?? LOL
The muskie bucket is located at the Wilds, A wild animal lsanctuary only a few miles from where the Muskie served all those many decades.
I don't have to got to Africa to see the jungle beast as I can just make a short trip to the wilds.

You can Thank the EPA for The BIG MUSKIES demise.
They ruled The Power Co. could no longer burn this coal
Now the power plant gets a low sulfur coal shipped in by train from another state.
To give you a glimpse of how massively huge the Muskie was it takes a 90 car train loaded with coal making 2 trips a day to the power plant to supply the same volume of coal that the Big Muskie was furnishing the power plant each day.

3* Little Egypt located in the Cadiz Ohio area about 70 miles from me.
While the Little Egypt is a huge impressive machine it is no rival to the BIG Muskie.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #24  
I've seen "Big Brutus" and thought that one was big, but it is quite a bit smaller.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #25  
Last fall we visited Stockport Oh, to see the Stockport Inn. One the return trip we took a ride thru a strip mining area. We got a picture of a huge bucket. Didn't notice a name on it though. It was close to Beverly Oh (maybe 30 miles from Marietta). My wife is in the bucket. She's 5'7".

Moon of Ohio

Attachments

• 558679-176r.jpg
    558679-176r.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 145
   / Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #26  
I have a pic of the wishbone of the big Muskies bucket somewhere here. They saved that as well. Some guy bought it and mounted it up on a old flatbed semi. He goes around to antique tractor shows and parks his semi in the display of tractors and equipment with the wishbone on the trailer. He then sets up a bunch of posters explaining the history of the Big Muskie. If I recall it was the only piece other then the bucket that was not cut up. If I find the pic I will post it.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
1*Last fall we visited Stockport Oh, to see the Stockport Inn. 2*One the return trip we took a ride thru a strip mining area. 3*We got a picture of a huge bucket. Didn't notice a name on it though.
4*It was close to Beverly Oh (maybe 30 miles from Marietta).
My wife is in the bucket. She's 5'7".

Moon of Ohio )</font>

~~~~~~~
1*My wife and were up there around there 6 weeks ago, but missed the inn.
Oh well 30 miles is not to far away for me to try again.LOL
2*That's where Big Muskie operated.
3*That is the BIG MUSKIE BUCKET. Stick that one your Kubota and you could really move some dirt couldn't you? LOL You were in the wilds. Did you see any elephants rhinos or hippos?
4*That's about right.

Have you ever visited the Buffalo farm about 2 or 3 miles outside of Beverly? The Guy must have well over a hundred of them.
You should have stopped at the little dairy bar in Beverly and gotten you and your wife a buffalo burger.
The meat for them is from the buffalo farm.
The wife and I always stop at the dairy bar for a couple of buffalo burgers whenever we're up that way.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a pic of the wishbone of the big Muskies bucket somewhere here. They saved that as well. Some guy bought it and mounted it up on a old flatbed semi. He goes around to antique tractor shows and parks his semi in the display of tractors and equipment with the wishbone on the trailer. He then sets up a bunch of posters explaining the history of the Big Muskie. If I recall it was the only piece other then the bucket that was not cut up. If I find the pic I will post it. )</font> Thanks for the info & hope you find the picture.

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #29  
No, I didn't know about the buffalo's up that way. PM me with more detailed directions as to where the farm is if you don't mind.
I"d like to try a buffalo burger. Maybe next time we're up that way, now that I know about them.
Thanks,
Moon of Ohio

/ Small tractors are eaasier to get out when stuck #30  
That bucket is a beast of a thing. Looking at those pictures sure shows how big that thing really is. If the bucket is that big, I can only imagine how big Big Muskie was. Big Muskie sure made that bucket look puny. It is a shame that it was scrapped. I sure wish they could have preserved the whole thing. As a museum I think it would have made for one heck of a tourist attraction!