Small trailer - Does it need license?

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #1  

shaley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford '92 2120
I'd like to build a small trailer maybe 4' x 5' long for my walk behind ditch witch trencher. I'm in Virginia but I was wondering if your state allows for any type of 2 wheeled tow vehicle that doesn't require license plates?
If I can determine that such an animal exist I can then search the Va. vehicle code. thanks

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #2  
You'll have to ask your DMV since each state is different. Here in NY anything you tow behind a vehicle is considered a trailer and needs to be registered, plated, and insured. The way I read VA DMV law it says the trailer must be registered. See the link.

www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/trailerreg.asp

Last edited:
   / Small trailer - Does it need license? #3  
Here in NY anything you tow behind a vehicle is considered a trailer and needs to be registered, plated, and insured.
That is correct UNLESS it is something like a cement mixer or a wood splitter AND it doesn't have any storage (ie: a wood splitter with a toolbox has to be plated, but the same splitter without a toolbox doesn't). See the DMV Website for the full details.

Aaron Z

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #4  
That is correct UNLESS it is something like a cement mixer or a wood splitter AND it doesn't have any storage (ie: a wood splitter with a toolbox has to be plated, but the same splitter without a toolbox doesn't).

You are correct. I forgot about those items which are technically trailored.

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #5  
That's the same in Florida, trailers need to be registered unless it is like the above examples.

/ Small trailer - Does it need license?
I searched the VA. DMV site and I don't think VA has the same exemptions. Thanks for all the help - the wood splitter is a good example. I'll keep checking.

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #7  
Funny, I have seen p/u trucks pulled over for not having a tag on the trailer (ie cement mixer) and have noticed more and more cement mixers with tags lately. So either that law has been changed or way too many people are paying taxes that they don't need to in Florida. Some of the more rural areas that I go thru, I wonder how some people get away with no tags (or light/fenders) that. I couldn't get away with crossing the street, so it may not be law, it may just be the local.
David from jax

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #8  
I would plate it. It won't cost that much, and will make sure that you don't have to explain it to officers who may not be aware of the ins and outs of the law.

Myself, the tags on my trailer have been dead for 3 years, never really think about it. Plate is pretty mangled, and that may help me with making it hard to tell.

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #9  
I'd like to build a small trailer maybe 4' x 5' long for my walk behind ditch witch trencher. I'm in Virginia but I was wondering if your state allows for any type of 2 wheeled tow vehicle that doesn't require license plates?
If I can determine that such an animal exist I can then search the Va. vehicle code. thanks

Tell em it's a hay rack and stick a slow moving triangle on th back of it.

/ Small trailer - Does it need license? #10  
Like others have advised. Check with your DMV. In my state , anything on the road has to have a tag. Boat trailers don't have to have a tag as long the boat on the trailer has a current tag. No boat on boat trailer. Trailer is required to have a tag