Small Trailer Help

/ Small Trailer Help #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
So apparently my google-mojo is busted and I would appreciate some input.

With a family of 6 we have four 96 gallon trash cans that semi-regularly need to be emptied. Curbside pick-up is out as we are in the country. While I am not old I'm getting past the point of being willing to lift those trash cans in and out of the back of my pick-up to empty them at the remote site across town. I do have a 20' equipment trailer, but that's a wee bit cumbersome to use just to move a couple trash cans across town.

What I would really like is a well built, small (4X5'ish) board deck trailer with high (possibly solid) sides I can neatly park in my driveway so that I can just leave the cans in the trailer and hook-up and go when they need to be emptied. My problem is that everything I am finding is either oversize for my specific needs and/or is of the bolt together variety.

Although it is way over built for my needs the closest thing I've seen are the Ohio Steel utility trailers Home Depot has for customer rental and as far as I know there is no outlet for their purchase. Unfortunately, I also suspect that what I might like and what I would be willing to spend for a mostly single purpose trailer are two very different things.
1630846278558.png

/ Small Trailer Help #2  
Build or buy a tray for your tube hitch receiver.
6BD5F91D-9A85-4E49-A261-90A51FF9BDB4.jpeg

/ Small Trailer Help #3  
Depending on how urgent your need you could always watch for Home Depot to sell one of their used trailers.

Like pretty much every other rental company Home Depot does sell their used rental equipment (at some point).

Granted finding some items will probably take some time/effort.

/ Small Trailer Help
Depending on how urgent your need you could always watch for Home Depot to sell one of their used trailers.

Like pretty much every other rental company Home Depot does sell their used rental equipment (at some point).

Granted finding some items will probably take some time/effort.
That's a great idea.... was planning on running by the local HD for some supplies and will ask the rental desk about the idea. Thanks!

/ Small Trailer Help #5  
That's a great idea.... was planning on running by the local HD for some supplies and will ask the rental desk about the idea. Thanks!
That's also a great idea - would love to hear what you find out when you ask. I usually just check their website on occasion to see if anything interesting is being sold at the local stores.

/ Small Trailer Help #6  
Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and similar places, maybe farm and ranch type stores all sell small trailers, usually $500 or less. Some are kits you assemble. You can add whatever custom sides or rails you want, even a ramp if you wish. Mine are both considerably lower than a pickup bed.

U-Haul might sell used stuff sometimes too.

A search for 'trash bin trailer' finds stuff like this:

y4vdtioo_modular-bin-trailer-290x280-state_8.jpg

But they're all either AU or UK, none in the US that I can see. If you're handy, maybe you can make one like that.

Last edited:
   / Small Trailer Help #7  
I like the Herbie Curbie type bins like Diggin posted for the wheels. They are handy around the yard also. The one’s the trash companies use are nicer due to heavier construction and larger wheels. Perhaps you could get one used?

Your idea about leaving your current cans in a trailer seems like a good one.

/ Small Trailer Help #9  
craigslist for small utility trailer. bought a 5x8 for $200 years ago. hardly use it..... still have it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Small Trailer Help #10  
Now is not a good time to buy a trailer. A few years ago I bought a 3.5' X 5' utility trailer for around $200 Canadian. Prices have certainly gone up! I expect supply is low. When I was looking that was pretty much the smallest trailer I found that wasn't wildly expensive and built solely for off-road use.

Looking for a used small utility trailer is probably the easiest plan right now -- if you can find one. If you can weld I expect you could build one reasonably cheaply.