Smoke billowing from exhaust

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Yesterday I did my fluids change on my CK30HST. When I did my oil change, I drained the oil, and removed the filter. I had opened the fill port a bit to help drain. The weather got nice so I did some outside work for about 2 hours. I can back in, installed new filter, added oil and went to start the tractor. It started to crank, then stopped, like battery was dead. I threw the charger on it (with start feature) and after a couple trys it caught, making some loud "banging" noise, and smoke started to billow out of the exhaust. I shut it down right away. I though I did some internal damage. I tried again and it started right up with some smoke coming from the exhaust, but sounded fine. I shut it down again. Started it a third time and by now the smoke was minimal and it sounded ok so I let it run for a few minutes. It seems to be ok. When I added fresh oil I do recall a "gurgling" noise. Has anyone had this happen to them? Can the engine get an air lock of some type? I've never had this happen to me on any oil change on any vehicle, but this is the first time I let the engine sit for a couple of hours before adding oil.
Thanks,
Kevin

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #2  
I don't think leaving it without oil for a couple hours would hurt anything. I have let a few Detroits sit for days without oil, while making other repairs. I have no first hand experience with that particular tractor though. Banging noise from any engine is never good. I hope all is well. Just curious, how many hours are on it?

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #3  
Sounds like you had air in the fuel system, did you change the fuel filter?

Or valve lifter bleed down, but that would happen every time, not just doing the only change.

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #4  
I have a few questions:
1. Whe you added oil did you fill it threw the cap on th valve cover or the orange cap on the right side of the engine below or at the injection pump?
2. Did you fll it using quart bottls or gallon jug and where did you fill?

If you filled by the cap in te valve cover and filled it using gallon jug or filled with quarts fast then what happened is that oil filled up n the valve cover and worked it's way into the intake manifold by the crankcase vent tube which runs rom the valve cover to the intake manifold. This line is about 4 o 5 inchs long and is about 3/8 to 1/2 in dia. And what will happen is that when you crank the tractor it will suck oil in the #3 cylinder and will start and then shut off, then it will act like the battery is dead and doesn't want t spin over due to there is now oil sitting on top of the piston nd it can't compress the oil like it can air. Then after it sits for a while the oil will leak past the piston rings and will alow it to crank, and when it does it may make some noise for a bit or permanatly and will defitanitlysmoke for awhile till the oil burns off. You actually have a 50 / 50 chance of not damaging anything and it sounds as if you were one of the lucky ones. Keep an eye on the engine for awhile ad make sure no strange noises and that that their is no oil consumption.
One mor thing all KIOTI or Daedong built machines all fluids are drained and refilled using the plugs and caps that are painted orange or orange.

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #5  
It is called Hydra-Lock. When you filled your engine with oil as previously told oil went in valve cover, filled valve cover (filled to fast for internal oil returns), drained into a possible open valve, sat on top of piston and due to compression - in this case not being able to completely compress/burn the oil, the engine acted as if locked. You did the correct thing letting it sit. Oil smoke should go away if you did not do any damage.

Should you have continued problems, check compression. This will tell you which cylinder is damaged. Damage - anything from a bent/twisted rod to broken rings.

Depending on your age of tractor, next to your dipstick, you will find a large orange cap - fill here. If you do not, the cover and cap goes where your engine stop solenoid is attached. Newer tractors have shutoff solenoid on front gear cover, which opens up the port. If yours doesn't have one, slow down the filling of the oil into the valve cover.

Tony

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust
Thanks for all the input. Its a 2005 with 400 hrs. Never had this problem changing the oil before. But I did use a gallon jug and did fill through the valve cover (I did hear a gurgling noise when I was filling). I don't see any other place to fill and the owners manual shows the valve cover port to be the fill port ("oil inlet"). I took it for a spin today to get the fluids moving and it smoked a little for a minute or so then seemed to stop. Hopefully this was just some more oil burning off. It sounds ok, though. In the future I guess I need to add the oil slowly. Again, thanks for the help. One more question...will overfilling the front axle hurt anything. I accidentally overfilled it and didn't want to drain some if I didn't have to. Looks like some of the excess was dripping out of the vent tube when it was running.
Kevin

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #7  
I let mine drain overnight, aleast 24 hours. Come back the next day an fill up, starts right up. No smoke.

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #8  
Thanks for all the input. Its a 2005 with 400 hrs. Never had this problem changing the oil before. But I did use a gallon jug and did fill through the valve cover (I did hear a gurgling noise when I was filling). I don't see any other place to fill and the owners manual shows the valve cover port to be the fill port ("oil inlet"). I took it for a spin today to get the fluids moving and it smoked a little for a minute or so then seemed to stop. Hopefully this was just some more oil burning off. It sounds ok, though. In the future I guess I need to add the oil slowly. Again, thanks for the help. One more question...will overfilling the front axle hurt anything. I accidentally overfilled it and didn't want to drain some if I didn't have to. Looks like some of the excess was dripping out of the vent tube when it was running.
Kevin

The residual smoke is probably in exhaust system and should go away. If it doesn't possibly you have broken a ring - not likely as it would smoke more than what you have described.

Overfilling front axle - pull plug and drain. I don't think it will hurt anything until summertime when axle needs room for oil expansion due to heat. Then it could possibly blow a seal. If you have sight glass to check drain at normal place - if you have a screw in 14mm plug center left front axle, just let drain into clean container.

Tony

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #9  
I have a few questions:
1. Whe you added oil did you fill it threw the cap on th valve cover or the orange cap on the right side of the engine below or at the injection pump?
2. Did you fll it using quart bottls or gallon jug and where did you fill?

If you filled by the cap in te valve cover and filled it using gallon jug or filled with quarts fast then what happened is that oil filled up n the valve cover and worked it's way into the intake manifold by the crankcase vent tube which runs rom the valve cover to the intake manifold. This line is about 4 o 5 inchs long and is about 3/8 to 1/2 in dia. And what will happen is that when you crank the tractor it will suck oil in the #3 cylinder and will start and then shut off, then it will act like the battery is dead and doesn't want t spin over due to there is now oil sitting on top of the piston nd it can't compress the oil like it can air. Then after it sits for a while the oil will leak past the piston rings and will alow it to crank, and when it does it may make some noise for a bit or permanatly and will defitanitlysmoke for awhile till the oil burns off. You actually have a 50 / 50 chance of not damaging anything and it sounds as if you were one of the lucky ones. Keep an eye on the engine for awhile ad make sure no strange noises and that that their is no oil consumption.
One mor thing all KIOTI or Daedong built machines all fluids are drained and refilled using the plugs and caps that are painted orange or orange.

I did not know this, and thanks for the info. I guess I have been lucky, always filled thru the valve cover plug.

/ Smoke billowing from exhaust #10  
This is the proper oil filling procedure of all Daedong built tractors regardless of the color Orange, White, Red or old Yellow/Black. Hope this will help some other folks in the future.

Attachments

• proper oil fill pdf.pdf
    234.6 KB · Views: 258