smoothing behind disc

/ smoothing behind disc #21  
In my vocabulary, a ring roller is smooth. It was a variation of a segmented roller in which the segments were shortened to became rings instead of tubes.

A cultipacker has ridges and/or knobs on the rings

But as I've moved around, I've also learned that farm implement names vary regionally and change over time.

Bruce

/ smoothing behind disc #22  
Down here we use a lot of railroad iron to make a heavy drag, but as some others have said, to get the best results the field should be mowed, burned or something if there is a lot of tall grass, weeds and foliage before trying to harrow.

/ smoothing behind disc #23  
Soil Conditioner Soil Conditioner.jpg Rotary Hoe Rotary Hoe.jpg Spike Harrow Spike Harrow.jpg
Cultipacker Cultipacker.JPG Crow Foot CROW FOOT.JPG Field Cultivator Field Cultivator.jpg

Last edited:
   / smoothing behind disc #24  
I use a do-all. Usually cover my seeds with it as well, followed by a cultipacker.

/ smoothing behind disc #26  
I use to use several different tools to smooth after tillage from drags to section harrows. Most of my smoothing now is done with a land plane grader scraper with the blades set flush. It can move more dirt to the right place in one trip across the field than the other implements. If needed I can make one pass with a section harrow and be ready to broadcast seed.

Here are the two tools I use the most for smoothing. The first oicture is after making one pass across the field with the land plane shown in the second picture. In pictures three and four of the spiked tooth harrow you can see the result of the harrow being used. Soon after the grass filled in nicely. Both implements are 8 feet wide and cost about $1200 combined to build.

Attachments

• Neria farm 008.jpg
    Neria farm 008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 295
  • landplane 001.jpg
    landplane 001.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 912
  • 3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 1,218
   / smoothing behind disc #27  
You could use a rotary tiller after the discing.

Tilling after discing on left, discing on right:

till-disc.jpg

This is clay to clay-loam soil, and I worked it a little too moist. Had I waited, the clods on the right would have been smaller with less moisture in the soil.

This is newly-broken ground for new beds. My process, in sequence:

Subsoil
Rip
Chisel plow
Disc
Till

Last edited: