Smoothing Clear Cut Land

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land
A couple of notes:

Unfortunately we bought the land after the contract was put in place. We got an amazing deal because of this.

The contract does not state they will clear up ruts but the company has been responsive and reasonable to other requests.

They will be fixing the road after they are done.

We are considering leaving the stumps alone as we can drive between them with the tractor.

So would a reasonable course of action be to clear the ground of large debris using a grapple, use something like a box blade or this TR3 Rake - ABI Attachments to smooth the ground and then broadcast seed between the stumps?

Keep in mind that sheep are more like goats and will eat plenty of weeds/woody growth.

I will likely leave some slash piles that are at the edges alone. The one big one in the middle of the property I’ll pull it into smaller piles and slowly burn it.

Bulldozer is not in the cards as the cost is extreme.

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land #22  
A couple of notes:

Unfortunately we bought the land after the contract was put in place. We got an amazing deal because of this.

The contract does not state they will clear up ruts but the company has been responsive and reasonable to other requests.

They will be fixing the road after they are done.

We are considering leaving the stumps alone as we can drive between them with the tractor.

So would a reasonable course of action be to clear the ground of large debris using a grapple, use something like a box blade or this TR3 Rake - ABI Attachments to smooth the ground and then broadcast seed between the stumps?

Keep in mind that sheep are more like goats and will eat plenty of weeds/woody growth.

I will likely leave some slash piles that are at the edges alone. The one big one in the middle of the property I’ll pull it into smaller piles and slowly burn it.

Bulldozer is not in the cards as the cost is extreme.
I think your plans are a reasonable approach. But I would also ask the logger to back drag the deep ruts and break up the largest piles. Can’t hurt. And if they say that’s not in the contract, you might ask what it would cost. They have the appropriate equipment on site and can do this far more efficiently than you can with a tractor.

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land #23  

I believe one of the two following implements will better fill your requirements:

A HEAVY, Three Point Hitch mounted (Category 2) Chain Harrow, like these 8' or 10', 785+ pound models from Wingfield, should be considered. Chain Harrows will not "hang up" on stumps or roots. You will need all 785 pounds of Harrow weight to move enough dirt in your application.

I have one of Wingfield's lighter model Three Point Hitch mounted (Category 1) Chain Harrows.

Also consider a Yorkmodern Rake, model "RI-HEAVY".

The Model RI is available in two versions, Landscape or Heavy. The Landscape version uses 1" rake teeth and 1" spacing for a finer finish. The Heavy uses 1-1/4" rake teeth and 1-1/2" spacing for a coarser finish. These units combine many versatile features and adds the convenience of a Hydraulic Angle Option and a permanently mounted drop-down blade option. The Landscape and Heavy RI models are available in 6', 7', 8', 9' and 10' widths. The Model RI is now also Quick Hitch Compatible.

A York RI-HEAVY model rake with optional blade and optional wings will move as much dirt as a Box Blade. York rake will windrow in addition. Scarifiers as useful on a "RI" as on a Box Blade.

LINK TO YORK RAKE SPECIFICATIONS:

Last edited:
   / Smoothing Clear Cut Land #24  
Problem solver right here.. Find a guy with one:

That is the best option. Follow up with a breaking disk and the land should be cultivatable. A larger Cat would be preferred.

There really is no light duty equipment option for removing large stumps and levelling the land. Get the proper equipment and clean it up. In the long run that is the best option.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing Clear Cut Land #25  
That is the best option. Follow up with a breaking disk and the land should be cultivatable. A larger Cat would be preferred.

There really is no light duty equipment option for removing large stumps and levelling the land. Get the proper equipment and clean it up. In the long run that is the best option.

So true. I was just reading through this thread and thinking how common it is here on TBN to see that same question.
Someone has bought 5 to 50 acres - or more - and a wants to know how to clear the land with their tractor.

The answer is simple. Hire a bulldozer. That's what they do. Saves money, time, and your tractor.
rScotty

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land #26  
Hire a bulldozer for the roots, clean up after him.

If you can get a permit to burn, and its safe to do it gets a pile of work in very little time.

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land #27  
Hire a bulldozer for the roots, clean up after him.

If you can get a permit to burn, and its safe to do it gets a pile of work in very little time.
Bull dozer with root rake. You don’t want to scrape off the topsoil.

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land #28  
Not related to your question, but you can save on property taxes for the mixed use with an Agriculture Property Tax Conversion for Wildlife Management. Google it for your state. Click on the .gov websites, as the other links will try to sell you their services for something you can easily do yourself. Here's Texas: TPWD: Agriculture Property Tax Conversion for Wildlife Management

Tony, CPA

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land
Having a dozer come work the property would be nice but the quotes ive gotten have ranged from $1500 an acre or more...

So it really is not an option.

/ Smoothing Clear Cut Land #30  
Having a dozer come work the property would be nice but the quotes ive gotten have ranged from $1500 an acre or more...

So it really is not an option.
If the logging contractor is still on site, you can get them to do some things a lot cheaper. The equipment and employees are already there, so no move-in, move out costs and they know the land.