snow blower tip

/ snow blower tip #1  

craneman13

Bronze Member
Tractor
toolcat 5600 C
you guys have all the good info here. my blower keeps digging in. any tips on how to set it down and keep it from scalping every time. im hit or miss with mine. always looking for a "better idea". tried a whip antenna on the outside of the blower, hoping that it would give me an idea of "level". but it doesn't seem to work. thoughts?

/ snow blower tip #2  
you guys have all the good info here. my blower keeps digging in. any tips on how to set it down and keep it from scalping every time. im hit or miss with mine. always looking for a "better idea". tried a whip antenna on the outside of the blower, hoping that it would give me an idea of "level". but it doesn't seem to work. thoughts?

Is there shoes on it?

/ snow blower tip
Is there shoes on it?
yep. actually 2 sets. the factory rear and i added a set to the front on each side. got to say i never had this issue with my Deer 4300, just dropped it, hit float and she did her thing. this one is a bit different. still love the machine, just have to work out the little quirks that are different. i know that a bunch of guys here blow snow every week. im sure someone had a tip.

/ snow blower tip #4  
I made up/modified a few blower shoes for myself and friends.

Mine are 2.5 inches wide X 12" long with both ends folded up like skis.
Never dig in any more and no scattered gravel to rake up come spring.

/ snow blower tip #5  
I assume you are not blowing a paved driveway then? For blowing over gravel or grass or something else not solid you just have to get a feel for it and keep adjusting. Don't be afraid to leave and inch or two of snow on the ground. Drive over it a few times and pack it down. Once you have a layer of packed snow/ice then you can let the blower float on it.

Rob

/ snow blower tip #6  
   / snow blower tip #7  
I'm thinking it is the 5600 toolcat that has no 3pt like the 5610 has. We are talking about a front mounted skid steer type blower? Are you pushing your lift arm control all the way forward to float? Does the mount mechanism have float built in (like slots)?

/ snow blower tip
can you shoot a photo of those "huge" skids. would like to see your design. not blowing smooth drive. mostly millings that have been packed down but still loose. no top link in this blower, its a tool cat. you are right about leaving an inch or so. been doing this for many years, just not with a tool cat. i will get it solved. only had 4 snows worth getting it out in the last 3 years so I dont have much to work with. this forum ALWAYS comes through. thanks

/ snow blower tip #9  
toolcat series A had real issues with the snowblower the arms rotate down and the blower would change back and forth with little movement of the arms up and down in float, the blower has 2 feet or pads on the back but its real front heavy, took the pads out and made up a wear slide that was welded to the old pads and went past the front of blower, a hook caught the lip of the blower like a bucket pallet fork, worked well.

removed them with the 2020 machine, the tilt is way less for vertical up and down, it will still dig in hard if tilted forward but I run it slightly tipped back

thinking I need to remake the skids for this again

/ snow blower tip #10  
I found out that using float on the Toolcat for snow blowing was not the best option since the boom angle on the Toolcats are angled down so when pushing forward it is pushing the boom down which would go against the idea of having float on. Thus, I just lower the blower so it just barely touches the ground, and that seems to work fine. If needed, I will raise in some areas of my driveway which might not be level. My 1/2 mile drive is gravel.