Snow chains, too close to the body

/ Snow chains, too close to the body
1489800811129.jpg

Here is the wheel. I think it's adjustable.

I looked at this post/picture,

this post/picture, and it seems like i might be already at 'maximum' configuration. Although it wouldn't make sense why they would do that to this tractor.

edit: nm, i might be at another setting, further down the thread the same issue was explained/addressed.

i'll take a closer look tomorrow (tractor is not home)

edit2: somebody already mentioned that my wheels might be adjustable earlier in this thread.. I should've paid better attention. Thanks you all. I didn't know there were "grand L" and just "L", i thought I just had L-series.. Thanks all.

Last edited:
   / Snow chains, too close to the body #22  
View attachment 502531

Here is the wheel. I think it's adjustable.

I looked at this post/picture,

this post/picture, and it seems like i might be already at 'maximum' configuration. Although it wouldn't make sense why they would do that to this tractor.

edit: nm, i might be at another setting, further down the thread the same issue was explained/addressed.

i'll take a closer look tomorrow (tractor is not home)

Does look like the wheels are full out. This is one good selling point for AG tires like what I have, my wheels are full in or close to it and I have 2-3" clearance on the inside for tire chains similar to what you have, I'd go with some sort of wheel spacers before giving them tire chains up, those are nice chains and they will make a world of difference, I cant go a winter without studded chains, be taking them back off next month.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #23  
First off, your wheels are set to the Narrowest setting, you can get them much wider... Bolt head, outer rim, then the "hub" that the tire bolts on too.

As for the Standard "L" (economical/cheap) vs. Grand "L"... If you have "00" and now an "01" that's the Standard. Mine is L2800 (standard). Grand L's xx10, xx30, xx40, xx60 are Grands... smaller the number the older the Grand (but still a Grand!) Unfortunately, they Cost more than a Grand vs. the economical Standards... :D

BACK to the tires, are they loaded? Do you have equipment to handle 4-500 pound tires without crushing yourself... if not, find a tire shop. I have to cross this bridge, I have wheel spacer so I need to remove my rear tires - not looking forward to this, I might just pay some one to do it. (...and I'm cheap!!).

I don't believe the tires are loaded. I bought the tractor "used" (550 hrs on it) about 3 years ago (up to 770 or so now). Given it has a backhoe, I don't see why the previous owner would have loaded the tires. Would I hear if they were loaded? Also, the backhoe is my jack. Thanks for the info on the L vs Grand L.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #25  
I don't believe the tires are loaded. I bought the tractor "used" (550 hrs on it) about 3 years ago (up to 770 or so now). Given it has a backhoe, I don't see why the previous owner would have loaded the tires. Would I hear if they were loaded? Also, the backhoe is my jack. Thanks for the info on the L vs Grand L.

Here is how to test if your tires are loaded. Rotate a tire until the valve stem is at 6 o'clock. Press in the valve core. What comes out? If it is air, you tires are not loaded. If it is liquid, your tires are loaded.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #26  
Here is how to test if your tires are loaded. Rotate a tire until the valve stem is at 6 o'clock. Press in the valve core. What comes out? If it is air, you tires are not loaded. If it is liquid, your tires are loaded.
^^^ can not get any more simple than this :D :D

Took a closer look. Based on the earlier link i have between 4 and 8 inches to go. Maybe ill try it before the winter. Hopefully this one is over.

edit: also checked for fluid based on suggestion above, no fliud

Last edited:
Old thread, but I finally did it..
In summary, I didn't have enough sidewall clearance to put the chains on, and the forum helped me determine that mine are adjustable..

Original Pic on how tire was mounted before today (from 5 yrs ago):

Referencing this post/picture (and thread), as somebody had a similar challenge and shared earlier.

I got by past few years with front chains (wasn't much snow either)
Since recently 4x4 became inoperable, plowing in snow on hills was a bad time. Flipped the outer rim today (and swapped tires to maintain proper R4 pattern) and gained 3" on ea side. Ready for the snow storm.

I may like these chains to plow, but way too heavy. Two man job today.
Tires too, but they ain't going back.. +6 inches, I am still under 7ft. My attachments are 7ft (plow, scraper blade).. I do hope to fix 4x4 and/or improve my rear chain skills/procesure.. front chains were 1 man 10 min job.

+3" clearance (for a total of roughly 4")

IMG_20220116_140357_429.jpg
chain pattern on frozen ground (studded from tirechains.com)
IMG_20220116_144651_950.jpg
Wheel well for comparison to post from 5 yrs ago (linked at top of post). This is the widest these will go (previous setting was 2 notches narrower.. my choice was either +1" or +3")
IMG_20220116_144632_632.jpg
Image "borrowed" from the thread referenced above.
My rims don't exactly look like this, and inches gained are diff.
wheel_spacing_mine.jpg

Last edited:
Chains were awesome.. I plowed for 2.5 hours, including uphill on a ~20% incline with little trouble.. we got ~7 inches of snow, and it was getting heavy with "snow mix' creating a crust.
After making a few stops to examine the chains/wheels as I started hearing a weird thud, I finally realized that the noise may come from the rim and the probability of that was higher given I just worked on them.. Lost one of the four bolts holding the "inner rim", and was a out to lose a 2nd one as the nut was fairly loose.. Parked the tractor as soon as I could and went home..

I do recall being surprised that none of them had any locking nuts (on the inner rim).. Off to supply store in the morning.. Hope they open and roads don't turn into ice overnight.. Also hope didn't do too much damage to the rim..Not sure how to tighten them I do recall taking a 2nd pass with the impact, don't think there was room for a lock nut.. maybe thread lock.

Might also be time to invest in a torque wrench.

Last edited: