Snow plow plans

/ Snow plow plans #1  

MFWD

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, a 2007 New Holland Skid Steer and a 1970's 154 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016 John Deere XUV 550 Gator
Hello,
I would like to buy a snow plow blade and make my own snow plow set-up to be used on my skid steer. I know that I have to buy a plow blade and a quick attach plate, but I'm not sure how to connect the two together and be able to move it left to right with hydraulic cylinders. Are there any plans available for something like this. I have the skills and tools available to make this happen......I just need some instructions !!!! Anybody have a solution to my problem ?????

MFWD

/ Snow plow plans #2  
Lots of builds on this site.Basically weld and angle or tube steel the width of your plate and weld a couple "ears" for the plow to bolt to,a spot for the chain to attach and hook up your cylinders.Most like to "float" the plow,if you want to have pressure down weld solid to the plate.

Attachments

• snow plow frame 001.jpg
    snow plow frame 001.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 309
  • snow plow frame 002.jpg
    snow plow frame 002.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 190
   / Snow plow plans #3  
Search is your best friend. Lots of different styles and modifications made from the mild to wild.

/ Snow plow plans #4  
$100 plow at an estate sale
$100 for 2 SSQA plates & a 3pt quick hitch at a garage sale
A piece of spare chain
$30 for a 20' piece of pipe I only used a few feet of

Welded the quick hitch to the SSQA plate. Welded 2 pieces of pipe to another piece of pipe so it could pick up the stock mounting brackets on the plow frame. Removed the winch off the plow frame & just replaced it with the chain going to the toplink on the quick hitch. Pretty darn simple really. It hangs out a ways causing more leverage than I'd like to fight steering tight corners, but not too bad.

IMG_20150117_153817.jpg IMG_20150117_153806.jpg IMG_20150117_153833.jpg

/ Snow plow plans #5  
I use my Bobcat 773 with a home built 8' plow to plow a few miles of road and love it. A few recommendations:

- I plow gravel and find it helpful to be able to put down pressure on the plow to break ice and cut the snow very close to the surface so I recommend not floating it. Most SS will have a float setting on the arms that you could use if you want to take the weight off the plow.

- get tire chains for the rear. Until I did that I ended up in the ditch more than once. We have serious grades where we live but it doesn't take much to pull your machine off the road once it hits ice. Chains are worth 10x what you pay (buy ones made for tractors).

- I feather the blade pitch with the SS controls because we have crazy hills - when you build it make sure you leave enough room to get the cutting edge down to be able to make up for topping a hill.

- I haven't needed an angle cylinder, it would be nice but for a few miles of country gravel road I find that using a pin to fix the blade angle works fine. less maintenance since I don't have the extra hoses and cylinder.

/ Snow plow plans
Hey GWiley,
Thanks for all the tips......your last tip about just angling the blade and fixing it with a pin.....this is the part that I'm not sure how to construct........I don't want to just try something and re-invent the wheel.....I would like to see a proven design so I know that it will work correctly !!!!! Maybe you could post some pictures of yours !!!!

MFWD