Snow Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #31  
I use my 3 pt blade. I plow about a mile of gravel roads several times a year. One of the problems with plowing on gravel in our area is that the ground here does not freeze hard all winter. If you use the grading blade by itself, you are often throwing gravel to the side of the road with snow. I have been bolting a 2 x 10 PT board to my blade. My board is 2’ longer than my blade so that I have some leeway beyond my tire width. This allows me to plow to the edge of the road without running my tractor real close to the edge of the road. The board also is a blunt edge rather than a cutting edge, so does not throw gravel with the snow. The result for me is that I am able to plow almost down to the gravel without moving the gravel. I just drilled 2 holes in my blade, and attach the board with 2 bolts. When I want to use the blade for grading in the spring, I just take off the board. I believe I heard about this from someone on this forum, but I can’t remember who.

There are others who have fashioned PVC to on their cutting edge or steel pipe to bolt on. The wood board works well for me. I have a much smaller tractor than you, but don’t see why it wouldn’t work for yours.

Jack
Turning the blade around 180 degrees basically does the same as bolting a board to the cutting edge. It allows the blade to ride over the gravel without moving it.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #32  
Do you use the edge tamers to plow snow on a gravel road?
Yes, it keeps the cutting edge off the gravel so that all I am moving or plowing is snow. We get very powdery snow here at times and the bucket cuts right through it and into the gravel. With the edge tamers what is left is about a half inch of snow that will burn through fairly quickly when the sun comes out.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #33  
Yes, it keeps the cutting edge off the gravel so that all I am moving or plowing is snow. We get very powdery snow here at times and the bucket cuts right through it and into the gravel. With the edge tamers what is left is about a half inch of snow that will burn through fairly quickly when the sun comes out.
Great. I have been leaving the bucket above the gravel a few inches and finishing with rear blade turned 180 degrees. It would be nice to be able to float the bucket without disturbing the gravel.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #34  
It would be nice to be able to float the bucket without disturbing the gravel.
I plowed some sticky wet snow once and the edge tamers did little good since the sticky snow lifted a layer of gravel despite the edge tamers.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #35  
I plowed some sticky wet snow once and the edge tamers did little good since the sticky snow lifted a layer of gravel despite the edge tamers.
Good to know. Maybe I’ll just stick to my method.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #36  
You can spend a lot of time plowing a mile of lane/road. Very enjoyable for some and a pain for others. If you enjoy it, use a rear blade on your M7060 and take your time. If you regard it as a chore, get a beater 4x4 plow truck, which should handle your occasional 6" snowfalls like a champ and do it in half the time vs. the tractor or skidsteer. One caveat about the truck... might not be a good choice if those hills and ruts you mentioned are bad.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #37  
In 35 years of running the township grader I've never bladed my driveway with it. It's an integrity issue for me. I don't even like parking it at my house because I don't want taxpayers to think I'm using it for personal gain. When I built my house and shop pad I did it all with my tractors. Including the final grade. :)
You're a good man. I work for the gov't and I don't use the taxpayers money that bought tools and equipment at my homestead. Same with parking the trucks and cars in my driveway. It's tough looking at nice F-450 diesel with a stake rack with a TommyGate lift, with a BOSS HD commercial plow knowing that sure, what's 10 minutes?! Tempting, but nope, not gonna happen.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #38  
As a former Missourian, I’d hate to spend too much for the few snowfalls you get. Up here in MN, I put a SSQA power angle blade on my L6060 until I got my SVL75-2. Snow pushes so hard to the side I needed to chain the fronts on my tractor but was not as much of a problem on the CTL. My father-in-law only used the back blade for his 200 yards of steep lane on his farm in NW MO. He kept the blade well off the ground since unlike my case, his drive never froze.

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road
Thanks for the recommendations all. Looks like I'm going to be able to test them out - they're calling for 12-18" at my place today/tomorrow!

/ Snow plowing recommendations for gravel road #40  
Thanks for the recommendations all. Looks like I'm going to be able to test them out - they're calling for 12-18" at my place today/tomorrow!
So far, as is typical, the forcasters shot high. We only have an inch up here and will miss tonight's round completely.