Snow removal combo needs help

/ Snow removal combo needs help
The RTV handles the vast majority of my snowfalls. I get into issues where it all hits overnite or it just keeps falling and the banks build up. It doesn't seem to want to push snow that deep for a mile. I do have chains that I put on when it gets really bad. For the most part, this option is working. Anything I add to the arsenal would be either to handle the LARGE storms, banks or in general to speed up the operation. I do not tend to add weight to the RTV. I don't know how much I'd need to add to be significant.

/ Snow removal combo needs help #12  
The RTV handles the vast majority of my snowfalls. I get into issues where it all hits overnite or it just keeps falling and the banks build up. It doesn't seem to want to push snow that deep for a mile. I do have chains that I put on when it gets really bad. For the most part, this option is working. Anything I add to the arsenal would be either to handle the LARGE storms, banks or in general to speed up the operation. I do not tend to add weight to the RTV. I don't know how much I'd need to add to be significant.
With a few hundred pound plow out front I would expect to add that much to the bed. Some weight and chains can really really help.

If your banks are closing in you didnt push them back for enough in the beginning of the season.

I'll try to add some weight and give it another go with the chains on. The same machine is used to haul garbage and recycling each week, so there is a fine line of adding weight and having to remove anything if a kid or father in-law is going to do me the favor of taking it down or picking it up. Maybe something that is low in the bed and not too tall would work.

/ Snow removal combo needs help #14  
I have 400+ feet for a driveway plus a good size parking area. I have tried an atv with 5' blade, tractor with bucket and back blade, tractor, bucket and rear blower and now front blade with rear blower followed by atv with 5' blade to polish things off. I really like the tractor with front blade and rear blower.

Attachments

• 20190313_114526.jpg
    20190313_114526.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 87
   / Snow removal combo needs help #15  
The RTV handles the vast majority of my snowfalls. I get into issues where it all hits overnite or it just keeps falling and the banks build up. It doesn't seem to want to push snow that deep for a mile
If you are waiting for the snow to stop before you plow that may be one reason you are having issues. As Meyer used to put on every blade you have to plow with the storm. I try to get out every 4 inches or so and I make sure that I am always thinking about where I am going to put the next storm. I do have the advantage of a bigger machine, but I always push the banks back as far as I can and if I push into a pile I use the blade to stack it so I have room for the next one. When plowing the street I clear each side first and push it as far back as I can and then move the middle to each side.

Speed is also your friend when plowing a long driveway/road. If you can move fast the blade will cast the snow further and spread it out more as well. It is also helpful to wax the mold board so the snow does not stick or in a pinch spray it with cooking spray.

Blowers are great, but they are also costly and it sounds like you don't want to make a big investment. If you really want to make a change I'd say the least expensive option you have would be to look for a used blade to mount to the Kubota. I paid $400.00 for a 9' Meyers blade a couple of years ago for example. My set up involves removing the loader so I can mount the blade directly on the tractor, but you could also go the quick attach plate/loader route. Even if you have to pay someone to do the mount you should be able to get in for under $2k.

I have 400+ feet for a driveway plus a good size parking area. I have tried an atv with 5' blade, tractor with bucket and back blade, tractor, bucket and rear blower and now front blade with rear blower followed by atv with 5' blade to polish things off. I really like the tractor with front blade and rear blower.
That combo feels like it would be about perfect, I wish it was a bit cheaper of an option

If you are waiting for the snow to stop before you plow that may be one reason you are having issues. As Meyer used to put on every blade you have to plow with the storm. I try to get out every 4 inches or so and I make sure that I am always thinking about where I am going to put the next storm. I do have the advantage of a bigger machine, but I always push the banks back as far as I can and if I push into a pile I use the blade to stack it so I have room for the next one. When plowing the street I clear each side first and push it as far back as I can and then move the middle to each side.

Speed is also your friend when plowing a long driveway/road. If you can move fast the blade will cast the snow further and spread it out more as well. It is also helpful to wax the mold board so the snow does not stick or in a pinch spray it with cooking spray.

Blowers are great, but they are also costly and it sounds like you don't want to make a big investment. If you really want to make a change I'd say the least expensive option you have would be to look for a used blade to mount to the Kubota. I paid $400.00 for a 9' Meyers blade a couple of years ago for example. My set up involves removing the loader so I can mount the blade directly on the tractor, but you could also go the quick attach plate/loader route. Even if you have to pay someone to do the mount you should be able to get in for under $2k.
I don't generally wait until it is done snowing, UNLESS it is snowing overnight and it is just the first time after I go out. I suppose it is cheaper to set an alarm to go out at 3AM, but this still doesn't help me in the MASS snowfall or if I go away for a weekend and return to a large volume that has been sitting. I can't just run away that easy in the winter as no one else in the house is capable (or willing) to take this on.

I'll try the cooking spray though and give it some more gas. I generally have to plow right down the middle and then back up the middle and then repeated passes to push the banks. I did push them pretty far out this time, but it also took forever and when pushing that much I need to watch my trans temps on the RTV. I do believe that added weight and putting the chains back on will help there so I will do that as well.

I'm all about optimizing what I have, but I know in a really bad storm I'm left with only the bucket on the tractor at this moment.

I don't know if a rear blade with the weight of the tractor may push more and possibly help push banks back better. Has anyone ever mounted a rear blade off the FEL? Is that a bad idea? At least I'd have a blade for other purposed. Not sure if the force on the loader arms or distance the blade hangs off would be a issue or not.

/ Snow removal combo needs help #19  

Attachments

• L4240 HST ,curtis snow plow (Small).jpg
    L4240 HST ,curtis snow plow (Small).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 127
I run a used truck on the FEL(skid steer QA) maybe have $300 in it and a heavy rear blade(updated since picture) a Landpride 6'.

My issue is how many machines, attachments vs. cost and time to clear. My setup now will handle most snowfalls as long as I don't let it build up too much. Even then I can get the RTV to plow and use the tractor/bucket for snowbanks pushing banks. The issue there is pushing banks up/down a half mile drive takes a long time.

The first time we get a 4 footer is going to be an entire day to dig out with the bucket and pray I have enough diesel to do it.