Rotary Cutter So I just bought a bush hog 1812

/ So I just bought a bush hog 1812 #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
And I have a question about the hydraulics. This thing came with a pair of hoses that work off of one of my remotes on my tractor. One lever lowers the entire shredder and lowers the wings...sorta.
they are all interconnected, one direction of the lever will lower the deck but at the same time will try to raise the wings and vice versa. I hate it. I have had a set of hoses made up and added fittings so that the lowering of the deck is controlled by one lever and raising and lowering of the wings is controlled by another. the only thing I am concerned with is the fact that the cylinders were single acting and I am making them double acting, shouldn't be a problem on raising and lowering the deck but might cause a problem on the wings. Any body else come across this sort of situation? what say you?

BTW, I left the flail nation (sorta) because I have 2 jobs that are a labor each. That takes a LONG time with a 6 foot flail and the Bush hog was substantially lower priced than a tow-able 12 foot flail. I still use the flail.

/ So I just bought a bush hog 1812 #2  
I'm trying to understand. Best to use two remotes or scv. Place the wings on one and the lift cylinder on the other. You only need 3 hoses for the wings. Left wing to a T, right side wing to T and then T to the pioneer fitting. On the lift it's a hose from the cylinder to the pioneer fitting.

They should be power up, gravity down for simplicity. No need for double action. Be sure the wings are on one that can float

Once you get it ironed out, you'll love it. Also, the previous owner who had it all on one had to be a crack head to create that mess

Brett

/ So I just bought a bush hog 1812
LOL the "previous owner" was bush hog. This is a new unit. The hose configuration that it has on it now is one of two possibilities that are show in the operators manual. I don't like either one. I do not have remotes with a float feature. I guess I will just have to be careful.

Hmm, just realized, I have to update my signature. I traded the RBT3584 rear blade for this shredder. I never got any jobs for the blade and it was just sitting around taking up space. And I never got to the point that I could use it efficiently because of the lack of work for it.

Last edited:
   / So I just bought a bush hog 1812 #4  
LOL the "previous owner" was bush hog. This is a new unit. The hose configuration that it has on it now is one of two possibilities that are show in the operators manual. I don't like either one. I do not have remotes with a float feature. I guess I will just have to be careful.

Hmm, just realized, I have to update my signature. I traded the RBT3584 rear blade for this shredder. I never got any jobs for the blade and it was just sitting around taking up space. And I never got to the point that I could use it efficiently because of the lack of work for it.

Without the wings being able to float I don't know how well your going to like the cut. When in float they can follow the contour of the land. If not, they will be rigid. Can you post some pics? When you push your scv lever forward it would lock in place?

Brett

Without the wings being able to float I don't know how well your going to like the cut. When in float they can follow the contour of the land. If not, they will be rigid. Can you post some pics? When you push your scv lever forward it would lock in place?

Brett

They can float. the attachment point for the wing cylinders has a long slot. after the wings are lowered they have XX ( cant remember the number) degrees of movement up and down. The problem I see is if I get a wing so high that it uses up the slot. Then they will be in a bind because the cylinder is full of oil 20171004_132327[1].jpg. I do not have the type of hydraulic controls you talk about. They are centered and no oil flows unless I move the lever one way or the other.

/ So I just bought a bush hog 1812 #6  
Here's what's in the manual - it's an optional kit from BH. Mine was equipped with it when I bought it and works fine.

2 line hyd hookup.jpg

HP

Attachments

• 2 remote hyd hookup.pdf
    155.4 KB · Views: 162
Here's what's in the manual - it's an optional kit from BH. Mine was equipped with it when I bought it and works fine.

View attachment 523648

HP

Thats the way mine was set up. Did not work well with my tractor. Perhaps my hydraulic control valves are not correct for this application. I have changed it to work off of two seperate remotes. Works the way i expect it to now.

/ So I just bought a bush hog 1812 #8  
Thats the way mine was set up. Did not work well with my tractor. Perhaps my hydraulic control valves are not correct for this application. I have changed it to work off of two seperate remotes. Works the way i expect it to now.
That is supposed to be connected to two sets of remotes, one hose to each remote, not both hoses to both sides of one remote.

Aaron Z

That is supposed to be connected to two sets of remotes, one hose to each remote, not both hoses to both sides of one remote.

Aaron Z

I dont see how that could work. I can understand raising the wings or the unit itself but upon trying to lower the unit my remotes will pressure up against the side that does not have a hose attached and squeals and makes all kinds of noises. The Kubota dealer sells these everyday and they hooked it up to my tractor, both hoses in the same remote

/ So I just bought a bush hog 1812 #10  
I dont see how that could work. I can understand raising the wings or the unit itself but upon trying to lower the unit my remotes will pressure up against the side that does not have a hose attached and squeals and makes all kinds of noises. The Kubota dealer sells these everyday and they hooked it up to my tractor, both hoses in the same remote
Yes, it squeals because you are hitting the pressure relief, but you are only doing it for 30 seconds or so, it won't hurt anything to do that, just drop the engine to an idle to reduce how much flow is going through the pressure relief.

Aaron Z