Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller

/ Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller #11  
Out of curiosity, what type of valves are you operating, the size of the pipe, and how many zones?

/ Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller
Out of curiosity, what type of valves are you operating, the size of the pipe, and how many zones?
I got a few "orbit 3 valve manifold" setups that are chained; fed from a 1" line, each valve has a ⅝" poly line running to a large raised bed garden box (the poly line is buried under chips but not in the ground as the ground is ridiculously hard and has many large rocks in it, no thanks I'm not drigging in it right now).

At each box there's a ½"-to-¼"adjustable manifold that up to eight ¼" tubing lines can be attached.

Each large planter box is set up to be a separate zone to allow for fine-tuning of run times.

It's overkill (one zone could easily water multiple boxes) but this setup will be flexible, configured up front so whatever the gardeners want to do they'll be able to with little further effort; my time is more valuable to me than a little bit of up front equipment cost.

(Btw the valves are fed from irrigation-only water, not from the house's water supply, so we don't have a need for anti-siphon valves.)

/ Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller #13  
The reason I asked is that I have an old Orbit 4 zone battery operated timer like this below. It runs on just 2 AA batteries. I have no idea how long the battery life is because they last me all season. In the fall I remove the batteries and toss them and store the unit in a shed. I've been very happy with it. Super simple. We have all of our hanging baskets and pots (about 25), our large flower planters, our flower beds around the house, deck and pool, a sprinkler in our front yard, and our entire garden on it. Everything is drip with the exception of the front yard sprinkler. Heck, we even have the bird bath on it to keep it topped off.

Anyhow, just 2 AA batteries and no need for solar or large batteries.

Food for thought.

/ Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller #14  
The reason I asked is that I have an old Orbit 4 zone battery operated timer like this below. It runs on just 2 AA batteries. I have no idea how long the battery life is because they last me all season. In the fall I remove the batteries and toss them and store the unit in a shed. I've been very happy with it. Super simple. We have all of our hanging baskets and pots (about 25), our large flower planters, our flower beds around the house, deck and pool, a sprinkler in our front yard, and our entire garden on it. Everything is drip with the exception of the front yard sprinkler. Heck, we even have the bird bath on it to keep it topped off.

Anyhow, just 2 AA batteries and no need for solar or large batteries.

Food for thought.
Are your solenoids AC or DC? Just curious.

/ Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller #15  
Are your solenoids AC or DC? Just curious.
The solenoids are run by the same 2AA batteries that run the timer. Everything is hooked up with garden hose. 4 solenoids plus the timer run somewhere over 6 months on just those 2 AA batteries.

/ Solar for sprinkler irrigation controller
I don't see a picture, but I think I have the same thing at another spot that was even farther from power.

I got the three 3-valve manifolds at a pretty good price (under $20/valve plus all the other easy-to-assemble parts; possibly one more with future expansion to 12 valves) and a 12-station controller for $60; $60 for the panel&charge, $20 for an inverter, and TBD for a battery (I think I can use an old battery I have) - $320 ($380 @ 12 valves). Oh, add a 4x4 to stick in the ground under the panel.

I see about $60 for a single 4-zone battery controller with one valve; I'd need 3 of these to replicate what I'm setting up right now (9 valves, up to 12 future expansion), plus another 6 valves (and connecting stuff, or two of the above 3-valve manifolds; 3 more if I expand) & 6 DC solenoids ($11 each)... but then I wouldn't need all the other stuff I'm setting up (less labor possibly). = $360 ($450 @ 12 valves)

Price-wise I think it's almost a wash, but the battery way is simpler overall, though possibly less of the "this project is fun!"

BTW I'm aware that the number of valves and zones is substantial overkill. I'm hoping to chain multiple boxes onto the same zone as the gardener figures out what she's planting where and then I can use the subseqently 'extra' valves to water yet-to-be-discovered zones.