Off grid solar system design help?

/ Off grid solar system design help?
I noticed that shading you pointed out. I was hoping it was just dirt, but if it's damage then I'll pass. There are other options out there.

How can I test the panels for function?

LOL

Dude... he said he needed low voltage lighting. that's all he said, that tells me he's looking at some form of 12v lighting like an rv setup. he needs a solar panel and a solar controller, to charge the battery, the 12v lights will have their own buck/boost controller, or are old school and just a regular bulb, use all the fancy words you want but at the end of the day, he needs a battery a panel and a controller and a light and he's done. if he actually provide more then 2 words for what he wanted, maybe we could give him a better design.

I don't care what panel he's quoted, if he knows nothing about solar, then he knows nothing about solar panels, so why should I base my comments off that.

LOL maybe you should look at what he quoted. he's looking at 65 dollar used panels, and used truck battery's, yea i think he wants to go cheap...... most controllers can easily handle a 40v OC panel with ease. so yea, he doesn't need a inverter, can always add one down the road if need be
Yes, I'm trying to work with a budget. I think I'll steer myself away from the truck batteries and go with some AGMs instead. According to some calculators I'd be looking for a battery between 100-160aH. Thoughts on going with a single large battery vs a pair of smaller ones?

You are correct, low voltage only. Any 120/240v needs to be handled with the generator.

Since the first post, I've purchased a Victron 75/15 controller.

/ Off grid solar system design help? #13  
Yes, I'm trying to work with a budget. I think I'll steer myself away from the truck batteries and go with some AGMs instead. According to some calculators I'd be looking for a battery between 100-160aH. Thoughts on going with a single large battery vs a pair of smaller ones?

You are correct, low voltage only. Any 120/240v needs to be handled with the generator.

Since the first post, I've purchased a Victron 75/15 controller.

agm's are more money, but don't require watering, nor needed to be vented, see if that is important to you. single battery is better if doing dual 12v, as you don't have to worry about balancing battery loads, if you wire in series 6v's then its a non issue. gc2 from sams club is considered a pretty solid option.

/ Off grid solar system design help? #14  
Are you doing good on your design, now? Need some more review?

For "lite" 120 / 240 Volt Loads -- like say a notebook computer, or a wifi for internet -- various little inverters, typical small portable car and truck types, generally work pretty well. That way you can keep down the Generator Run Time.

For the moment I'm ok with the design. I would like some advice on how to evaluate the panels for condition and proper function.

/ Off grid solar system design help? #16  
We have a "off the grid" garage we store a mower and boss atv in which I'm in the process of adding panels to so I can charge there batteries. Its not been hassle free job and I'm adding a second 100w panel now. Just ask if anyone cares to see the panels and there mounts.

Last edited:
   / Off grid solar system design help? #17  
Start with buying a solar generator. These take all the guess work out of the equation. Hook up a couple of panels and your hooked up. There is no need to build your own system anymore. These things are great.

maxresdefault.jpg

/ Off grid solar system design help? #18  
I started building my own system
It is a lot larger than the system you want
I started with (2) 200amp Lithium Increased two (6)
I purchase (2) Flamezum 4000w/8000w Inverters and they were named right
I flamed one of them out. They are not as advertised and you get absolutely no customer service from these thieves
I purchased (3) Renogy Rover Elite 20A/40A Charge Controllers.
I already had a bunch of Harbor Freight Solar Panels and I purchased (10) 100A 12V panels to add to them.
I hooked up all of my Harbor Freight Panels to one Controller and the (10) 100A panels to one of the other controllers.
The Controllers are hooked up to a Buss Bar that the Batteries are hooked up in series for a 24V system.
The Imbalance between the Harbor Freight Panels and the New 100A Panels Freaked the controllers out Even though they were not directly connected. and Cooked one of the Controllers.
So I went back to the drawing board and called the altE Store that I found on the internet
I have talked to them a few times and have watched the videos that they have on their site several times over to learn about what I am doing.
When I get my order from altE
I will be set up with a Magnum 4024 Inverter which has (2) 30 Amp poles and (1) 220 Amp pole all built into one unit.
I purchased the Magnum Panel which has all of the breakers ,switches and other stuff to make a legal ,safe connection of everything.
And Today I added their Magnum 100Amp Charge Controller.
Adam their Rep has been very very helpful and informative in getting me set up with what I am needing
I am taking the Harbor Freight panels off of my system and I am going to purchase more 12V 100Amp Panels for my system so that it will be a balanced system.
I am learning as I go and the learning curve has bit me a bit with lower grade items that what I need for my system.
All of these extra items will not go to waist as I am looking to build a smaller system for a smaller demand.
If you are planing on building your own system I highly recommend that you check out altE and watch some of their videos.
And
Do not cheep out just to get by with your system. It will not be cheep in the end.
Good luck with what you end up with.

/ Off grid solar system design help? #19  
Interesting thread.
I know several members on solar forums that own tractors, but I ask my tractor questions here and stick to solar issues there.
I have been truly off grid since 2004, have had several systems, still have a traditional 120/240 vac house system as well as a 48vdc purposed system (and building a 12 vdc purposed system) and wouldn’t begin to sort out the previous posts.

ETA:
For the curious
My current house system is 52 PV (14.2kw) connected to 4 Outback Charge Controllers charging 12 SimpliPhi 3.8 lithium batteries driving 2 Outback Radian Inverters with the appropriate breakers and connections and backed up by a 14kw Kohler LP generator and a 10kw MEP diesel.
My purposed system is 6 12v panels directly connected in series to 48 vdc pump controller.
My being built system is 2 235w PV panels (used but look new compared to OP post) connected to 12/24v charge controller to a 12v FLA battery to power 12v fan, pump, and lights for my hydroponics.

Last edited:
   / Off grid solar system design help? #20  
For the moment I'm ok with the design. I would like some advice on how to evaluate the panels for condition and proper function.

mkay. Usually we look for 3 things:

+ Open Circuit Voltage -- point at Sun and measure Volts across the leads.
+ Short Circuit Current -- (we do this, but only a maybe for you) -- make sure the Amp Rating and connections on your meter can handle the current -- many have a fuse and Max of 10 Amps. You can do this in a dark area, for less Amps.
+ MPP -- Max Power Point. This usually takes an inverter, or micro-inverter that acts as a load, and optimizes the combination of Volts and Amps (Volts X Amps = Watts) to get max combination from each panel. This tells you what it will really produce in the optimized system.