Some boring pics of my logging winch

/ Some boring pics of my logging winch
Yes, they are very overpriced as a used units so 600 its OK. Often they go for 1500$ as a very well used unit 30 years old.
Here in Norway the price goes up quit much when all the firewood maniacs are heading to the woods in the late winter. early spring.

Here i live this isent very hard to get a used one, this was std equipment on almost all farms but they still get a high price as used.
The larger dualdrum winches are often cheaper, they are to heavy and not so easy to attach to the tractor.

/ Some boring pics of my logging winch #14  
Nice pics on Flickr!

It looks like you cut a lot of beech wood (bøk)?

I like beech. It's not the hottest wood, but easy on the saws and clean. It is great for grilling over a wood fire.

We dont have any real hardwood so its not much of a choice.
A lot of this work is trying to keep the landskape open, all those small farms dont have animals any more so its hard to keep the vegetation down.

/ Some boring pics of my logging winch #16  
We dont have any real hardwood so its not much of a choice.
A lot of this work is trying to keep the landskape open, all those small farms dont have animals any more so its hard to keep the vegetation down.

I can understand that. This area used to be lots of pastures for sheep and cattle, hay fields. A nice piece of open field is rare now. This past summer I started the project of re-opening an old field area, only about 4 hectares.

Its a lot of work to clear an area, I have a cheap chipper and thats a nice tool to reduce the work.

/ Some boring pics of my logging winch #18  
Its a lot of work to clear an area, I have a cheap chipper and thats a nice tool to reduce the work.

Thankfully, there was enough wood standing to have a chip harvest done. That got rid of all the trees and paid a little too. Now I have a field of stumps that need to be dug out and piled for burning. That is next summer's project.

I will probably hire someone with an excavator and bulldozer for the stump work. There is a nice Komatsu PC60 excavator with hydraulic thumb for sale nearby for $42,900. New Page 1

As much fun as that might be, I'm a bit afraid of owning something like that which I know nothing about. It could end well or not so well. Their price is a bit high, but it has been for sale 6-9 months now. It is too heavy for light truck hauling to jobs, and too light for serious digging jobs. That may be why it is hard to sell. I would need to sell it too eventually.

055.jpg

Here this size of excavator is the most common, they use tractors to move them or dumptrucks, they climb in so no need for anything extra to transport them.

Last edited:
   / Some boring pics of my logging winch #20  
View attachment 348993

Here this size of excavator is the most common, they use tractors to move them or dumptrucks, they climb in so no need for anything extra to transport them.

Watch out for low bridges, branches & cables! :knockout: