Sometimes the rock wins

/ Sometimes the rock wins #11  
Rocks and Boulders carried and deposited by Glaciers long ago, appear all over. It seems that You encountered one of these remnants.

/ Sometimes the rock wins
I've tried the sledge hammer and a pick. Reminds me of hitting a good anvil with a hammer. The sledge just bounces and rings. No freezing here to amount to anything.

There are a few other big ones around above ground, several nearby about 6 feet across, with some 10 and 15 foot ones up the hill a bit. I imagine there must be more like that buried. None of the others in the driveway were over 2 feet, so that's what I expected here.

I'll probably just put down another couple of inches of gravel and forget about it.

Bruce

/ Sometimes the rock wins #13  
Had a good size one in the field i was getting scared too. Hard to tell but the trench is about 30 feet long and bottom was about 3.5' deep i started digging down on the flat face
ForumRunner_20130920_223751.jpg

Solution

IMG_267462608398755.jpeg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130920_223836.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130920_223836.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 183
   / Sometimes the rock wins #14  
Dynamite is the way to go. If it's too hard to get, I guess a big jackhammer might work! Lol

/ Sometimes the rock wins #15  
Just knock the 2 inches off that sticks up with a sledge hammer and go on. You got some nice footing for the driveway there.. Wont wash out:)

James K0UA

That's what I did to some big rocks in my yard.

/ Sometimes the rock wins
I also found some large ones along the fence line. Some were as big as a VW and half buried but others I could handle.

BXrock.jpg

Bruce

/ Sometimes the rock wins #18  
If you really want it gone, take an oil drum, cut both endcaps out, place on rock and burn, BURN for a day, maybe two. Then wipe away the ash and pour cold water on it, the thermal expansion difference will cause it to crack. It works the other way around too, everytime i torch a plate of steel too close to the concrete shop floor, concrete chips splat up against my goggles... not just the cement but even the pebbles in the concrete break in half !

/ Sometimes the rock wins #20  
I second the chisel idea. Channel your inner Michelangelo and bury the rest. Perhaps it's bedrock :)

What's wrong with you guys? Perfect reason to buy a skid steer with a jack hammer attachment!

Harry K