Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #21  
Our township has a “trash day” usually once a year in an effort to keep the illegal dumping down. They will take appliance, paint, batteries and junk but not tires and some other hazardous things.

I always remember this little grassy triangle near my house where the road splits two ways. Somebody left a TV and a couch there. I told the township road superintendent if they had left a fridge and a generator there we could watch the football game this Sunday.

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #22  
Humorous side note. When I lived in Anchorage - being with the Dept of Env Quality - we would get calls on back road dumping. As time would permit - the inspectors would root thru the garbage - find correspondence with folks names on them.

Find and confront the suspected "dumpers".

Their most usual answer - "Well, by golly - I wonder who would steal our garbage. Just to take it out somewhere and dump it?"

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #23  
I have a county road on my eastern side that tees into a state road on my southern side. That stop sign is a popular spot for dumping beer cans, bottles, fast food trash and even garbage. Every time I mowed the corner, I'd fill a big black trash bag. I quit mowing the corner a few years ago (after a hospital stay) and let the state and county deal with it. I noticed a county Sheriff's car would park on the opposite corner when I would be coming or going somewhere. I hope they wrote a lot of tickets. That was a good spot to hide for speeders going east or west on the state road too. Trees on the other side and a high bank on my side. They couldn't see him until they were within about 50 yards.

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #24  
The empty building across the street from mine used to grow mattresses. There was quite a big pile. The only thing we could figure was someone was getting paid to dispose of them and pocketed the money and left them to be someone else's problem. The guy that owned the building paid twice to have the mess cleaned up.
I would have put cameras out after the first time.

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #25  
Humorous side note. When I lived in Anchorage - being with the Dept of Env Quality - we would get calls on back road dumping. As time would permit - the inspectors would root thru the garbage - find correspondence with folks names on them.

Their most usual answer - "Well, by golly - I wonder who would steal our garbage. Just to take it out somewhere and dump it?"

When we boarded our horses, dumping along that road was a huge problem. It was just down the road from the dump, and I suspect lots of folks were put off by the dump hours or fees. We caught a couple of folks in the act, and the local law enforcement said that we, as witnesses, didn't count. They had to see it in action themselves. A couple of times they did run the plates and go talk to the owners, but we were told that the typical response was along the lines of "gosh someone must have borrowed my truck without me knowing...":rolleyes:

All the best,

Peter

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #26  

I cannot lie; I put that envelope under that pile of garbage.

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #27  
I have a county road on my eastern side that tees into a state road on my southern side. That stop sign is a popular spot for dumping beer cans, bottles, fast food trash and even garbage. Every time I mowed the corner, I'd fill a big black trash bag. I quit mowing the corner a few years ago (after a hospital stay) and let the state and county deal with it. I noticed a county Sheriff's car would park on the opposite corner when I would be coming or going somewhere. I hope they wrote a lot of tickets. That was a good spot to hide for speeders going east or west on the state road too. Trees on the other side and a high bank on my side. They couldn't see him until they were within about 50 yards.
Our last house was on a corner of a county highway and the only road on the north side, into a small bedroom community. Every time I mowed the road ditches I would have to go out first and pick up all the garbage. Sometimes I would come back with tires, bumpers, but usually trash like glass bottles, beer cans and fast food wrappers. Some times my little pull behind garden cart would be full. People are slobs.

I still pass that same property every time I go to town and back, and the new owner doesn't do anything. Never picks up the trash and never mows it. Looks like a slum. He even built up quite a collection of junk cars and trailers on the property. To each their own, I guess.

Can't say I miss picking up after all the slobs, and all the "garage sale" signs and other signs that folks would set out there and "forget" to come pick up later. New house isn't on a main road and we don't have any of that to deal with anymore.

/ Sometimes your the bug, sometimes the windshield #29  
I would have put cameras out after the first time.
We always wondered why they didn't. It was a busy road too. Surprised they never got caught. Cops kept a good eye on the place too. There was even a boat on a trailer that got dumped behind the building.