Sparse Member Profiles

/ Sparse Member Profiles #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
For me, half the enjoyment of TBN is swapping experiences with folks from different parts of the country, different backgrounds, with different tractors and equipment on different kinds of land.

Why is it then, that so many members these days are leaving their profiles virtually blank? I understand that privacy is important to some, but what's the harm in just letting us know what general part of the country you live in? Or what kind of terrain you and your tractor do battle with?

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy your posts all the same, but it would add a lot if there were fewer gaps in the profiles. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Sparse Member Profiles #2  
Harv,

I feel exactly the same way. I get very disappointed looking at a member's profile and seeing only their username, title, total posts and the date they registered.

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

/ Sparse Member Profiles #4  
Hmm. All we can do really is encourage people to complete their profile... I could send an e-mail to all users with a message about updating profiles, for one. Already have it in the welcome message, otherwise there would be a lot less even.

msig.gif

/ Sparse Member Profiles #5  
I agree about the sparse profiles.

Muhammad, couldn't you make some of the fields mandatory. Here's my suggestion:

Name
Lot size and conditions.

Terry

/ Sparse Member Profiles #6  
Not all of us have a tractor yet though... Some are using TBN as a good reference point. :)

Paul

/ Sparse Member Profiles #8  
Its a nice thought Harv, but unfortunately these days its better safe than sorry. I think a general description of area, terrain and equipment etc as you suggested is good, but I have seen some posters be specific about where they live and have even listed the names and ages of their kids...to me that is crazy.

Again, sure would be nice to be able to share information with my "friends" here, but the internet is a world-wide medium and in my opinion anyway, safety, especially with regards to the family needs to be of utmost importance.

You never know when some opinion that you voice will set some psycho off the wrong way. Heck, I probably have offended a few people with my own rantings about what we should do in Afghanistan, but if I was to offend anyone about this or anything else, the last thing I would want to have that person know is where I live and how many kids I have, what their ages and names are....

/ Sparse Member Profiles #9  
EJB,

What you say is true, to an extent. Not to start a long discussion on this - It is very surprising what can be found out about a person by using some simple tools on the Internet.

Some day just spend some time by cruising the Web using a Search Engine and your last name. You may be surprised. With a credit card and that basic info, even more may be had. And this is available to anyone with a computer, time, and a little bit of brains. Scary, but true.....

Terry

/ Sparse Member Profiles #10  
I guess I'm one of the crazy ones, ejb. I've been accused of it a time or two at least./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Or maybe I just can't see going through life running scared all the time. Heck, I'll give anyone who asks directions to my house./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird