Spend my money.

/ Spend my money. #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Looking to buy a new tractor. I have a few basic requirements. Approx 40hp or larger. Dont need anything much bigger. Must be 4x4. Must have loader capable of 2000lb with forks. Prefer hydrostatic. Cab not necessary. Dont like those itybity tires on the front, but I dont need a set of super swampers either. Looking at Massey, Mahindra, Yanmar, and a few others, and no I dont like kubota or Johndeere, sorry if that hurts someones feelings. Must be able to run 6ft tiller and 6ft bushhog. Anyways throw out some suggestions, and prices if you got them. Looking at buying new complete with loader, bucket, pallet forks, tiller and scrapeblade.

/ Spend my money. #2  
Approx 40hp or more. Must be 4x4. Must have loader capable of 2000lb lift with forks. Prefer hydrostatic. Cab not necessary.

This is the mid-weight of compact tractors, a high unit volume segment. Every tractor manufacturer offers at least two models, an economy and a deluxe tractor, with your specs. All offer HST. All are 66" wide, plus or minus a smidge. All have a bare tractor weight of 3,700 pounds to 4,100 pounds.

Looking at Massey, Mahindra, Yanmar, and a few others.

Go for it.

I suggest adding Kioti and Branson to your research list.

(Kubota), Yanmar and Kioti produce almost all tractor components in their own factories, therefore buy few components from outside, relative to other brands.

Every brand has an easy-to-access web site with pricing.

Last edited:
   / Spend my money.
Well, Jeff, I kinda figured that one out already. I am just tired of trying to guess which one will last the best, has the best ground pressure, and has the best part availability, wont turn over on a little slope, or ballhoot down a semi steep grade etc and able to turn around at the end of a row without needing a mile of field to do it in. I dont have a tractor dealer of any brand close by and the last tractor I owned was a TN75 New holland. To big for what I need now, and the tractor before that was a FordDexter 2wheel drive that would spin on a wet rock.

/ Spend my money. #4  
Snarky.

The Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939. Patents on the Three Point Hitch and TPH hydraulic controls expired in 1955. Since 1955 (66 years) all traditional compact tractors have been designed and produced around the Ferguson Three Point Hitch, worldwide.

The traditional tractor design is generic.

I am tired of trying to guess which one will last best.

That depends on the prudence of the owner/operator. Prudence in operation. Prudence in performing preventative maintenance on time. Employee tractor operation will be intermittently imprudent.

Inside storage is better than outside storage.

I prefer 3-cylinder diesel engines (Kioti) over 4-cylinder diesel engines for simplicity. At 40-hp you can go either way. About 50-hp the engines have 4-cylinders.

Looking at Massey, Mahindra, Yanmar.....

Among these three I rate Yanmar tops. My first tractor was a Deere/Yanmar.

As for parts: (Kubota), Yanmar and Kioti produce almost all tractor components in their own factories, therefore buy few components from outside, relative to other brands. (Deere, commendably, has a plant in Waterloo, Iowa dedicated to producing factory parts for legacy models. Very good parts availability but high prices for legacy model parts, produced in small volume in a union plant.)

wont turn over on a little slope

The spread of the rear wheels/tires is the most important factor in tractor stability, followed by rear tire ballast. All the tractors you are considering are 66" wide with R1/ag tires. R1/ag rear tires are almost, almost always spread/adjustable wider.

turn around at the end of a row without needing a mile
Dont like itybity tires on the front,

The turning radius of every model is part of its specs.
I doubt there is 12" difference in turning radius among all the models you examine. (It is small front wheels that make tight turns possible.)

Most will have split turning brakes. However split brakes are seldom used in field work today. Split brakes are used when clearing snow, today.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Last edited:
   / Spend my money. #5  
I will say the Branson turning radius is the tightest I ever have seen. If I turn my wheels all the way it is at slow speed as I can't imagine the force that would be on the front end.

/ Spend my money. #7  
Kioti DK4510SE - 45HP, HST, feature rich, checks all your boxes ....... done deal! 😉

/ Spend my money. #9  
We have the YT235C really enjoy Yanmar
comfortably built in and the controls are all
at your finger tips for easy operation. You
just might want to test drive these two Yanmars!

willy

/ Spend my money. #10  
There really isn't a best choice, just the one that has the most things about it that you like better then the others. Nobody has a secret better something on their tractor that the others don't know about. For me, what makes a tractor better then the others is their support. Can I find a part for it when I need that part? Will they have parts ten and 20 years from now? Dealer support is nice if you need it and you don't like to fix things yourself. Tractors break down. Hopefully it's not very often, but it will happen. If you can fix it yourself, buying parts online, or at the Auto Parts store like Napa makes it easier to avoid a bad dealer, or one real far away.

For me, Kubota is the leader in all things I think are important in buying a tractor. I do not have one, but I've been to their dealership several times, and I'm always impressed. I have Branson, New Holland and Case. I do not plan to ever buy those brands again. Parts are just too hard to get from them.

Sometimes you just have to go sit in the tractor and see how it feels to you.