Spline lube?

/ Spline lube? #11  
We always use to use "black bear" grease on splines at my last heavy equipment job. The stuff is thick and dosnt move much. I wouldn't use normal grease as it can attract dirt wearing your splines more.

/ Spline lube? #12  
Honestly - keeping it clean and greased with something is more important than what type of grease. Even the very best grease will fail given enough time. I don't think there a product that is - "grease once and forget".

/ Spline lube? #13  
I'm sure this topic has come up, but... maybe I was unlucky with the search terms.

The mid pto's and FWD spline shafts don't move around much, don't have grease fittings, and don't there fore, get regular lubrication service.

What the best lube? Moly fortified grease has been my go to, but I've recently pulled down the front axle drive on one of my tractors, and the spline couplings look mighty dry! (still in good shape )

Mean while, the engine mounted drive on my neighbor's Kabota B7100 stripped out completely, and that's a tough spline to match (availability)

What's in your grease gun?
Self serving since I am the Tripak mfg rep, but our Deep Blue chain conditioner is great for open splines on PTOs and such. Our grease will keep internal units coated for an extended time and nothing will stick to the splines. Check Fastenal or your local farm store to see if they have it.

/ Spline lube? #14  
I use the same grease on both my pto stubs that I grease the tractors with but when not in use, they stay covered with a hard plastic slip on sleeve. Kubota has them and they will fit any tractor with a 6 spline or 21 spline pto stub and they are dirt cheap too. Think I paid 4 bucks each.

/ Spline lube? #15  
I'm a fan of the liquid waxes for mountain bike chains. They don't pick up dirt like oil or grease based products.

Back to the shadows...

/ Spline lube? #16  
On a spline that doesn't move much, like the FWD one, how do you get grease or lube into it in the first place? You're not disassembling it to lube it, are you? Just squirting what you can in at the end of the sleeve?

/ Spline lube? #17  
On a spline that doesn't move much, like the FWD one, how do you get grease or lube into it in the first place? You're not disassembling it to lube it, are you? Just squirting what you can in at the end of the sleeve?
I do on mine. It's as simple as sliding the cover backwards for the front one and remove the cover plate for the other one, hammer the roll pin out and slide the coupler backwards, then apply grease, slide it back and forth a couple times and put everything back together.

I only do this every 200 or 300 hours of use. Depends on the mood during maintenance.

/ Spline lube? #18  
I spray oil on shaft and yoke like all others, but more important disconnect the shaft right after done using when things are warmed up and easy to separate. It's so much easier to get apart this way.

Maybe I wipe clean and oil and then it goes together easily next time I use it. After a couple times like this, the gunk is wiped off and surfaces clean and easy to put together.

On front splines I spray thin oil sometimes before use. Occasionally I slide under when hot from use, brush off with an old toothbrush as best as I can and then spray light oil and moly grease again. In decades of experience, my splined things are always in excellent condition.

Last edited:
   / Spline lube? #19  
I do on mine. It's as simple as sliding the cover backwards for the front one and remove the cover plate for the other one, hammer the roll pin out and slide the coupler backwards, then apply grease, slide it back and forth a couple times and put everything back together.

I only do this every 200 or 300 hours of use. Depends on the mood during maintenance.
Which is exactly what Kubota spells out in their shop manual for the front segmented drive shaft for the FWA.