Split-dovetail car hauler trailer

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #251  
Very nice build, you did an excellent job! I'm looking forward to the weigh in :)

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer
have you thought of adding a hanger in the side of the tongue to hang the safety Chains from when them trailer isn't hooked up? Something so they aren't just sitting on the ground?
I already did.

Attachments

• t00123.jpg
    t00123.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 166
Very nice build, you did an excellent job! I'm looking forward to the weigh in :)

Thanks. Yeah, i'm kinda wandering on the weight myself.

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #254  
It's beautiful! One if these days you'll have to call it done and use it! Nice work.
Jim

It's beautiful! One if these days you'll have to call it done and use it! Nice work.
Jim

lol, yeah, after paint all I've got to do is wire it, that's something I can actually do.

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #256  
Nice job! Thanks for sharing. I have a car trailer built locally that has the jacks on the back corners. I really like them, even more when I got a flat moving my daughter. We were able to change the tire using the back corner jack to raise it up (loaded with household items). My wife was smiling the whole time! No damage done with flat, we had a spare with us, jack worked, had lunch in next town while they repaired flat)...

I decided to use this paint for the underside, I figured i'd waste a lot of it trying to get it in all the nooks and crannies on the bottom. I didn't want to chance getting it half painted and it getting rained on, so i'm painting it in the shop.

Attachments

• t00124.jpg
    t00124.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 141
This is the paint I used on the top side. A buddy who has a body shop recommended it.

Attachments

• t00125.jpg
    t00125.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 142
I had to buy a new paint gun, the one's I bought from Lowes were basically junk.

Attachments

• t00126.jpg
    t00126.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 90
After wire brushing the entire trailer with a grinder, blowing it of, washing it with simple green, spraying on the priming etch and rinsing it off with water, letting it dry good, I started painting. I masked off the sides and fenders and with booties on to cover my boots I got right on the deck and painted the whole thing from the front to the back. After the rust coat dried, I did the same with the top coat. When the deck was dry, I masked it off and did the sides and fenders pretty much the same way I did the deck. I used a box fan to help vent the fumes outside. It worked pretty well.

Attachments

• t00127.jpg
    t00127.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 125
  • t00128.jpg
    t00128.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 104
  • t00129.jpg
    t00129.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 105
  • t00130.jpg
    t00130.jpg