Split-dovetail car hauler trailer

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #241  
I finally got my linear actuator in and installed. I made two brackets for it and welded them on. It was kind of a pain getting everything to work in an enclosed space but I finally made it work.

Hey, I think I recognize that actuator. Linear Actuator IP66 | Progressive Automations
If that's the one, how do you like it? I plan to use one to "automate" the SSQA levers on my Kubota (8" travel).

And yeah, an automated lid is pretty sweet. Should totally youtube that one up.

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer
Hey, I think I recognize that actuator. Linear Actuator IP66 | Progressive Automations
If that's the one, how do you like it? I plan to use one to "automate" the SSQA levers on my Kubota (8" travel).

And yeah, an automated lid is pretty sweet. Should totally youtube that one up.

It's a little different (the electric motor is inline with the cylinder on mine) but it works great. It's also remote controlled.

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #243  
It's a little different (the electric motor is inline with the cylinder on mine) but it works great. It's also remote controlled.

What is it / where did you get it? Maybe it's a better option for me, too.
Thanks!

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #246  
Nice every trailer should have that. What will be even better is telling s friend to grasp strap out of the box and you raise lid for him.

/ Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #247  
When you welded on the spring mounts and the tongue, how did you square everything up? You said it tows nicely so that's a good sign that it tracks straight down the road. I'm thinking of building a trailer one day, and have been curious how precise the axle location needs to be?

Very nice build, btw.

I put the tape measure at the center of the hitch, and made sure that measurement was the same from there to the axle on both sides. That's where the truck is pulling it from, so I figured that was the critical spot. The frame of the trailer can be a little out of square, the a-frame can be a little off, but this pulling point to the axles measurement should make it pull nice behind the truck.

I reworked my safety chains, got the old mounts off with my grinder and welded the new connectors on.

Attachments

• t00120.jpg
    t00120.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 179
I also added a hitch light, not sure if it'll work with the angle its at, we'll see, I hid the switch under the trim piece of diamond plate. I also added a light inside the toolbox, hope to wire it so it come's on when the lid raises. The weather is supposed to be good Wed. and Thur. and i'm off work...time to paint.

Attachments

• t00121.jpg
    t00121.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 152
  • t00122.jpg
    t00122.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 145
   / Split-dovetail car hauler trailer #250  
I also added a hitch light, not sure if it'll work with the angle its at, we'll see, I hid the switch under the trim piece of diamond plate. I also added a light inside the toolbox, hope to wire it so it come's on when the lid raises. The weather is supposed to be good Wed. and Thur. and i'm off work...time to paint.
have you thought of adding a hanger in the side of the tongue to hang the safety Chains from when them trailer isn't hooked up? Something so they aren't just sitting on the ground?