Sprinkler Pump from my Pond advice needed.

/ Sprinkler Pump from my Pond advice needed. #31  
I finally moved our gardens (mostly raised / some grow bags) over to a drip irrigation & I agree with LBBJ that we are using way less water & a have much better production & healthier plants in the garden now. It was really easy to install & deliver the water where needed with all the different types of emitters there are at a very controlled rate. Our system works on very low pressure, (I actually have pressure reducing valves installed), even gravity feed works & is super easy to add or move parts around as needed. I did install in-line strainers with flush valves to keep the irrigation lines clean of debris.

Yours wife's gardens are at a greater scale of what we are doing here... but still might be worth looking at drip irrigation for some of the beds. We purchased ours from a place only sells irrigation supplies which was nice to be able to get all the parts from one place & it worked out cheaper than the big box stores.

/ Sprinkler Pump from my Pond advice needed. #32  
Thank you. This is something that needs to work for decades, so I'm willing to spend what it takes to do it right. The aluminum was my starting point in figuring this out. If you needed 220 volts and 30 amps 100 feet away, what would you use? I would always use copper wire, primarily for the termination problems, but it is a smaller diameter cable for the current and a little easier to handle as well.

I own a trencher and a backhoe, so putting the wire in the ground isn't a problem. I'm unsure what the advantage is to using conduit? My soil is hard packed red clay. There are no gophers or moles here. In that case, there's not much advantage other than 1) protects the cable against digging and if there's a problem it can be pulled out and replaced.

/ Sprinkler Pump from my Pond advice needed. #33  
Eddie - For that size raised bed farming it seems you could use a water tank setup. Pump 24/7 if need be into a water tank or several, then gravity feed to driplines.