Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #21  
It's worse here in the US. Our so-called "highway safety officials" actually post signs that encourage deer, both literate and illiterate, to cross highways.;)

View attachment 447035View attachment 447036

Steve

My brother is the DOT state traffic engineer who, among other things, determines where to put the signs this person on YouTube is complaining about.

Our entire family collectively face palmed.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #22  
My brother is the DOT state traffic engineer who, among other things, determines where to put the signs this person on YouTube is complaining about. Our entire family collectively face palmed. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

Man, that explains a lot! That lady on the YouTube video is really dumb – a much better idea would be to eliminate the Deer crossing signs all together, and then no Deer would cross at all!

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #23  
I see a lot of dead squirrels and dead deer beside the roads.. The ungulates jump out in front of my vehicle all the time.. I haven't hit one yet, but sure have had a lot of close calls. What usually happens around here is you see one run across the road up ahead you better slow down and be looking for the second and third to do the same dang thing, and they will run right in front of you or jump across your hood. I have run over my share of the tree rats.

I guess this is why they have "roo-bars" on vehicles down wagtails way. Kangaroos arent any smarter than our whitetails.

Well I can just about guarantee that the Kangaroos up here in Ohio are smarter. I never even seen one close to the road, much less trying to cross.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #24  
Man, that explains a lot! That lady on the YouTube video is really dumb a much better idea would be to eliminate the Deer crossing signs all together, and then no Deer would cross at all!

Following up, it would be a good idea to post signs like this to warn the deer not to cross. These signs should be positioned so that the deer can see and read them before they reach the roadway.:)

no-deer-allowed-sign.svg

Steve

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #25  
I always wondered why deer run out in front of cars so much until I took a job at a stock yard. That was my first time working with sheep. On the way home one night I saw about half a dozen deer running in a field near the road and they acted just like sheep. So now I know the answer. Deer are STUPID. True they have great a great nose and see movement very well, but they are STUPID, just like sheep. Yes I have hunted for years and have been made a fool of many times by the stupid deer but I was in their living room and they know it very well. You may not agree but I think they rate right up there with the deer crossing sign lady. Ed

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #26  
I have one of those little 'whistles' on the front fender of my truck.....They seem to work. Since I put one on, I have seen plenty of deer in the ditches, but none in my path of travel.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #27  
So I'm driving down a country road and see a great buck -- I mean a real Boone and Crocket candidate. I slowed to a crawl and watched him. Then he started to run, making a wide arc across the field and then leaping into the road and sliding/stumbling to the other side, just a few feet in front of my truck.

By way of comparison, I encountered numerous squirrels during the day. They may make a quick zig-zag as you approach, but they always make a dash to the edge of the road.

The point is that it appears squirrels understand the concept of the road and vehicles and their line of travel while deer just never seem to get it. They repeatedly run out in front of cars when it would be easy to just wait until they pass by.

Now I would think that a deer is smarter than a squirrel but their road-relevant behavior would make you wonder. Anyone care to offer a theory or explanation for this?

This is very simple. You may have noticed more deer being hit lately. The deer are upset about our President and have gotten to the point that they are suicidal.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #28  
Deer generally are hit after dark after getting blinded by the headlights. Squirrels on the other hand will dart into the road, stop, try to run back, stop again, then dart off in another direction. Attempts to straddle them are fruitless as they will turn and run under the nearest tire. (And the Nature Channel makes a big deal about lemmings. :puzzled:)

Roos are even more elusive than Bigfoot up here; in my entire life I have never seen either species in the wild.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #29  
I see more "smear of deer" than "whirl of squirrel".

That is because there is more deer to smear and very little left of the squirrel after it has been whirled. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

You all want to see what my '01 Freightliner with a steel front bumper and a five axle trailer will do to a deer. It aint pretty, I can tell you.

I have not seen what your truck does to the Bambi's but I sure have seen what other trucks do. :eek: Sure does make a mess. I saw one the other day where the deer was not smeared but chunkerized over about 100 feet of roadway. Looked like a large meet grinder had been set to very coarse grind. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Years ago I saw a whole deer sitting on the line in a double turn lane. I saw the deer in the morning and the next morning it was like someone had spilled a couple of 5 gallon containers of red paint. :eek: I assume trailers ran over the carcass. It sure would have mess up a car. Well, it would have at first. :(

Almost got possum they other night but he moved just fast enough as I lifted off the go pedal. It was close though.

Later,
Dan

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #30  
as I was driving into town this morning, a state truck was picking up dead deer from along the interstate. They had several in the truck and was picking up another.