Stability of the B series vs the L series?????

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #1  

lharrell799

Tractor
John Deere
Hello all,

Last year I acquired 20 acres (10 acres wooded, 10 acres native pasture) and bought a used B2910. The 2910 came with a loader, box blade (with 200 lbs of added weight), and a MMM. Total weight of the setup is around 3300 lbs. I've mostly been using the little tractor to mow the 10 acres of native pasture, and it's doing a decent job. I also use it to move rocks, downed trees, brush, etc. My only complaint so far, is the stability of the 2910. Every time I get on the slightest, side slope, it feels like it's about to tip over. This usually happens while mowing. I'll be cruising along in a straight line, and I'll hit a little hill in the pasture. The tractor will get to leaning, and it feels like i'm about to tip over. As well, when I'm mowing, if one of the rear tires hits an unexpected armadillo hole or erosion channel, that also gives an unexpected, uncomfortable lean. It usually results in me backing up, and going around the little hill or hole. I'm thinking that the narrowness of the B2910, along with the small front tires is what's creating this. Also, i'm keeping the FEL as low as possible, and the box blade low as well.

For those of you that stepped up from a B series to an L series, did you notice a huge difference in stability? I'm now thinking an L2501 would better suit my needs. Or should I go bigger?

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #2  
Personally I'd remove the FEL and rear implement when mowing with the MMM. I bet you'll find it feels a lot more stable.

That said, the basic premise of your subject line is something I'm struggling with right now too. I want a B2650 with FEL (bucket, forks, and grapple), backhoe, and 60" MMM. But I get on hills a good bit and the B2650 just strikes me as very narrow for the height.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #3  
I guess that's why some users add wheel spacers on various size models. With just the MMM riding, I find the B2650 stable at my place........but maybe the angle of the hills and chuck holes aren't all that great at my place.

Pulling a 3 pt mower vs a MMM might also account for some difference in the ride comfort and the stability.

Last edited:
   / Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #4  
I have the 2650 and an m5700 and the difference is like night and day . The stability is better on the 5700 for sure but the ride quality is 10 times better due to larger tires . I mow about 40 acres of pasture with the 5700 and couldn't even imagine doing it with the 2650 as the fields aren't lawn smooth for sure with the ride quality being very jerky over rougher terrain with the 2650 . I would imagine you would see a big difference with the L series also .

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #5  
I've got some small hills on my land, and my BX handles it much better mowing without the FEL.

However, I just take it easy and use proper judgement when mowing around that one area.

My next tractor (hopefully a L3901) with a RFM will be able to not have any issues. For lengths sake on the new machine, I probably won't keep the FEL on as much.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #6  
I have a BX, B, and have had 3 L's. They all needed help with tipping from the dealer. Wheel weights, loaded tires, and spacers. You might not be able to put spacers with the MMM. I have 2" spacers on the BX and it makes the MMM tight, also loaded tires. The B I loaded tires and wheel weights, that helped but wish I had spacers too. When mowing I don't like loader or weight on back with the BX. The B I only have a pull behind mower, but no loader when mowing. The L has wheels set out as far as they well go, wheel weights, and loaded tires.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #7  
For what its worth, I drive a Max28, approximately 58" wide, 280 lbs., and I find I get the feeling of off center once in a while when I hit some of the slopes in my fields. If I have the Brush Hog on the ground I find it is more stable but with the backhoe I get an uneasy feeling about tipping, even if it doesn't.
My slopes are a little steep so I do a lot of backing up the slope and cutting on the downward move... works.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #8  
I upgraded from a L3200 to a L4060HSTC mostly for the cab. Going from a 60" wide machine to a 72" wide machine was surprisingly more stable. You sit a bit higher on the Grand which should make it feel worse, but width is everything for stability. Weight, especially down low helps, but not as much as width.

I had the L3200 heeled over way to far mowing ditches. At one point in 2wd it stopped moving forward because the high side wheel lost traction. I shifted into 4wd & backed out. So it's actually quite a stable machine & will go past what you'd think it would. The L2501 is the same exact machine with a detuned engine to get below the 25hp emissions limits & an improved 3pt valve.

The heavier machine will work circles around a lighter machine regardless of HP. It will pull harder & lift more.

Get loaded rears & always use proper 3pt ballast if you get an economy L. Their loader can lift more than it should for the tractor weight. You need the ballast when lifting heavy with it to maintain stability. It will safely lift a lot more than a B no matter how you slice it though.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #9  
Personally I'd remove the FEL and rear implement when mowing with the MMM. I bet you'll find it feels a lot more stable.

I concur with this advice. Your tractor is pretty heavy already.

Last year I acquired 20 acres (10 acres wooded, 10 acres native pasture) and bought a used B2910. I've mostly been using the little tractor to mow the 10 acres of native pasture, and it's doing a decent job. My only complaint so far, is the stability of the 2910. Every time I get on the slightest, side slope, it feels like it's about to tip over. This usually happens while mowing. I'll be cruising along in a straight line, and I'll hit a little hill in the pasture. . I'm thinking that the narrowness of the B2910, along with the small front tires is what's creating this.

For those of you that stepped up from a B series to an L series, did you notice a huge difference in stability? I'm now thinking an L2501 would better suit my needs. Or should I go bigger?

Perhaps adding wheel spacers to the rear wheels will make you comfortable.

VIDEO: BX25D Tipover Challenge: Stock vs Wheel Weights vs Spacers - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #10  
I had a B2910 a number of years ago and also found it unnerving on slopes. Moved up to an L5740 and the difference in stability is night and day. I did set the wheels out to their max width, but I never worry about stability on the L unless I'm working with a really heavy loader load. Loaded rears area must too, but I had those in the 2910 as well.