Standby Generator

/ Standby Generator #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
We finally bit the bullet and installed a standby whole house generator last Friday. Interestingly, we had a power outage the following Monday!

My wife said, "worth every penny". I agree.:thumbsup:

/ Standby Generator #2  
We finally bit the bullet and installed a standby whole house generator last Friday. Interestingly, we had a power outage the following Monday!

Ours was installed the next spring after Isabel (2004). We haven’t been without power for more than 20 hours since. A great insurance policy!

/ Standby Generator
When the crew showed up to install the generator, I jokingly said to them that now that I spent all of this money, the power would never go off again. The reply was, "you are paying to never be without power again. You will either have it from the utility or the generator! And, for sure, that is the goal.

/ Standby Generator #4  
I know a few people who have non functioning standby systems. Murphy loves to hear things about never being without power. A challenge for him I guess.

/ Standby Generator #5  

Similar happened to me. I bought a Honda powered 6Kw really inexpensive, kept it for 10 years. Never had to use it, just start it occasionally. Then Sodo posted about a VERY INEXPENSIVE Duromax 10KW so I bought one, didn't need it, but loaned it to my son. The house where it's at is in dense suburbs of Alexandria, Va, I've owned the house since 1978 and the power had never gone out for more than a few hours.

THEN about 2 weeks after he got it the power went out for a week just on his street because someone cut a line. Needless to say he broke in the generator.
Talk about timing.

/ Standby Generator #6  

What kind did you end up getting?

I've been eyeing a propane powered Generac, but I haven't gotten to it. We already have a 1000 gallon propane tank for the furnace and water heater.

/ Standby Generator #7  
We had a 22kw generac put in about 3 years ago. It runs off of propane. One purchase the wife and I agreed upon very easily. Has saved us a bunch of times.

/ Standby Generator #8  
We had a 17kw generac installed 8 years ago.No regrets yet.

/ Standby Generator #9  
Got a 17kw Kohler about 10 years ago, for our 4-season cottage. Sleep well knowing that it will fire up and keep the furnace running if we lose power in the dead of winter when we are 2 1/2 hrs. away.

/ Standby Generator
22 kW Generac on propane. Needed the extra kW since we have a geothermal heat pump.

What kind did you end up getting?

I've been eyeing a propane powered Generac, but I haven't gotten to it. We already have a 1000 gallon propane tank for the furnace and water heater.