Starlink

/ Starlink #1,011  
Thanks for sharing. Real world experience is very helpful, and informative.

Can I ask what sort of ping times are you getting via up your Deco mesh network, vs just Starlink?

The pixelation suggest wayward packets to me, but whether the cause is a few maple branches, or something else in the line of sight, or Starlink routing issues, I don't know. Can you manually force YouTube / Netflix into a high resolution mode to see if it might be an artifact of an auto speed algorithm with them?

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,012  
I haven't paid much attention to latency between the setups. In general, it isn't spectacular, at 35-75 ms, but it isn't much different than my LTE connection and that never gave me any issues.

I'll have to do some playing with the video streaming to see what I can find.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,013  
I haven't paid much attention to latency between the setups. In general, it isn't spectacular, at 35-75 ms, but it isn't much different than my LTE connection and that never gave me any issues.

I'll have to do some playing with the video streaming to see what I can find.

Rob
41ms of latency between Denver & New York at the speed of light. Real world anything under 100ms is OK, under 60ms is good, under 40ms is really good (even for hard-core gamers). A lot of real world latency comes down to where the gear on the other end is you are testing against. From here in Denver 45ms to a server in NY is amazing. 44ms to a server in Denver is ok or good.

/ Starlink #1,014  
Than why can’t bigblue1 stream movies. That’s the man reason I want fast internet. Here I’m waiting to hear how soon we can get fiber. I checked into Verizon lte and it’s not available in my area. Strange since we’re not far from the tower.

/ Starlink #1,015  
The included router seems decent but not anything exceptional. The good thing is that you have options. You can plug your mesh system into the Starlink router for better home coverage or you can omit the Starlink router entirely and just use your own setup.
Can you change the settings in this router or at least make it run in bridge mode and use your own router? While I don't care about wifi, I do like to be able to control which addresses are DHCP so I can assign static IPs if needed, set up port forwarding, etc.

Just the other day I noticed one of their uplink sites in Gilman, Vt. About a 15 x 15 foot fenced off area (with slats so you can't easily see inside). There were some white radomes visible over the top. Must have just put it in sometime in the last month or so, don't remember seeing it last time I was down that way. Seemed to be kind of an out-of-the-way location for something like that.

/ Starlink #1,017  
   / Starlink #1,018  
Can you change the settings in this router or at least make it run in bridge mode and use your own router? While I don't care about wifi, I do like to be able to control which addresses are DHCP so I can assign static IPs if needed, set up port forwarding, etc.

Just the other day I noticed one of their uplink sites in Gilman, Vt. About a 15 x 15 foot fenced off area (with slats so you can't easily see inside). There were some white radomes visible over the top. Must have just put it in sometime in the last month or so, don't remember seeing it last time I was down that way. Seemed to be kind of an out-of-the-way location for something like that.
They sprouting like mushrooms around the country. Looking at the map, it looks like they are in remote-ish areas with fiber to get the data out.

I think of Starlink like an umbrella, with the satellite at the tip of the umbrella; the signal gets bounced from you up to the satellite and down again, somewhere under the umbrella. While future satellites are supposed to have inter-satellite lasers to transmit data, the current ones have to hand the data off to somewhere more or less under them.

Since the speed of light in space is faster than light in a fiber, the future laser satellite version might have the ability to get data from Denver to New York faster than you can do it on the ground, which becomes very, very valuable to certain customers. e.g. "Flash Boys"

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,019  
41ms of latency between Denver & New York at the speed of light. Real world anything under 100ms is OK, under 60ms is good, under 40ms is really good (even for hard-core gamers). A lot of real world latency comes down to where the gear on the other end is you are testing against. From here in Denver 45ms to a server in NY is amazing. 44ms to a server in Denver is ok or good.

Interesting. I was under the impression that sub-30ms was what folks considered 'good'. Never really paid much attention to it though since I've never had issues.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,020  

There is zero control of the Starlink router but the good thing is that you don't have to use it. You can just plug the Starlink controller's (i.e. the 'modem') into your own router. I'm trying mine that way today to see how it works.

I did find that my speeds were better connected directly to the Starlink router than either with Starlink-->Deco or just Deco system direct. I'd never experienced a speed difference between my Deco and the Netgear Nighthawk LTE modem I used as my primary for years prior.

Rob