Starlink

/ Starlink #1,001  
I just found out that Zipley fiber is building a new substation out by us. hopefully fiber isn’t too far behind.

/ Starlink #1,004  
They are limiting the number of subscribers in a given grid location (10 square miles I believe). Mostly due to a limited number of downwind stations, but due to a limited number of birds as well. Current birds are only setup for up & down traffic I believe. They were still working on the peering systems to send traffic from 1 bird to another. Once they get that routing sorted out traffic can get routed to an uncongested or non-local downlink station.

For now you are artificially locked to a given grid location. They are talking about mobile applications like RVs, planes & the like, even while they are moving. But that option won't be around until the network has more birds, ground stations & a feature upgrade or 2. I heard they were wanting to get mobile stations out the end of this year, but that may be optimistic Elon time.

/ Starlink #1,005  
I've been on the wait list for a couple months. Hoping it finally comes soon

/ Starlink
#1,006  
They are limiting the number of subscribers in a given grid location (10 square miles I believe).
Apparently that explains why I've heard nothing but crickets 🦗 from them for 9 months? location...location...location

/ Starlink #1,007  
Apparently that explains why I've heard nothing but crickets from them for 9 months? location...location...location
Ya, I've been on the list a while & know of a few who signed up adree me who got gear shipped already. I'm reasonably close to Denver, but farcenough to live off a dirt road. Higher population density here. But friends in the mountains with much lower density have gear.

/ Starlink #1,008  
Ya, I've been on the list a while & know of a few who signed up adree me who got gear shipped already. I'm reasonably close to Denver, but farcenough to live off a dirt road. Higher population density here. But friends in the mountains with much lower density have gear.
I have been on the beta list within 48 hours of it opening, and on the preorder list within a couple of hours of it opening.

I agree with you; I think rural density has a lot to do with it, once you move beyond the extreme north. They seem to be choosing beta sites within good range of uplink stations with low population densities. We are like you, quite rural, (no cell or broadband) but close to a population center. There seem to be more than a few that have gone to those with large social media followings.

I keep hoping that we "win the lottery" and get to try out the Starlink service. I expect it to be transformational. Fingers are still crossed.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,009  
Thats what we call it too...winning the lottery. It would just be a huge order of magnitude improvement over what we have. I cannot wait to dump frontier.

/ Starlink #1,010  
My 2 month update:

Service seems to be notably improved since I got the dish in March. Very few disruptions now, except for one desktop that seems to be unhappy with the Starlink router. According to the stats page, 11 min of beta downtime in the last 24 hours. But none of it was visible to me. I've currently got the Starlink router feeding my Deco mesh system but I think I'm going to pull the router and just hook the mesh direct to the Starlink controller and try that. I've been using Starlink for my work, which is on VPN all day long and often involves lots of meetings over WebEx/Zoom/Teams, and it has been pretty smooth.

Also got my dish up on the roof now (was just sitting in the lawn). Cable is run but I haven't mounted the dish permanently since I have one big maple tree that I was worried might obstruct. The Starlink obstruction app showed its top branches just barely peeking into the cone of sightline in the spot I want to mount the dish. Zero obstructions reported for 2 days though, so I think I'm good to install the mount. Using the 'Flashing Mount' to properly install it under the shingles.

Strangely, even though Starlink download speeds are dramatically better than the LTE modem I have used as my primary Internet for years (often 170-200Mb/s vs. 30-60Mb/s) video streaming via things like YouTube TV/Netflix/Prime Video seems to not be as happy. The video is less crisp and more pixelated through Starlink. Not a dealbreaker but unexpected.

Rob