Starlink

/ Starlink #101  
One of the techs told me that they thought that they had run fiber to the new mini dslam(pedestal) and they later found out that there was no fiber. I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about as it doesn't seem to make any sense to put a new dslam in that is not fed by fiber. The only reason that I was moved to the new unit is because the centurylink website changed and showed that I could now get 20 Mb with the new hardware. They wound up hooking me up at 15 Mb instead of the 10 that I previously had. I lost connection about six months after the speed increase and they then said that I could only get 10. I had been having good speed at the 15 Mb service and tests were consistently 15. I told them that the problem was obviously down the road and I did not want my speed dropped. They dropped it anyway without my permission and I still had no service. A day later somebody got in the new mini dslam and discovered that a tech had been in the unit and left something disconnected. The tech told me that my speed could have changed where it was. In the meantime because of my speed change(decrease), my price for life went up $15. The tech then told me that the new mini dslam was not installed right and so it will only be used by me since it won't increase the speed for any nearby customers. Seems like a bunch of kangaroo techs to me. The contractors working for Centurylink should be working at Mcdonalds. Any ideas why they put in the new mini dslam? It doesn't seem to be benefiting anybody. In fact my pings are a little bit higher.

It may be different in each area, not sure. Never heard the term Mini Dslam. We call our Units CAF units here. CAF meaning Connect America Fund. Some are fed by copper and some fed by fiber. The majority fed by fiber. Fed's mandate 10 meg minimum on CAF units. Our units are typically installed by contractors and then turned up and tested by our tech's. I only do fiber to the prem, thank God, so I don't have anything to do with it. The CAF units are placed based on population and existing infrastructure. So what that means is you could in theory have 5 houses on the north side of the road and 1 on the south side within 1/4 mile of each other and the one on the south side wont get upgraded. Folks tend to blame the Telco's for a lot of things that are completely out of their control. However, the design should be 100% before the installation is started, but that doesn't always happen.

/ Starlink #104  
One of the techs told me that they thought that they had run fiber to the new mini dslam(pedestal) and they later found out that there was no fiber. I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about as it doesn't seem to make any sense to put a new dslam in that is not fed by fiber. The only reason that I was moved to the new unit is because the centurylink website changed and showed that I could now get 20 Mb with the new hardware. They wound up hooking me up at 15 Mb instead of the 10 that I previously had. I lost connection about six months after the speed increase and they then said that I could only get 10. I had been having good speed at the 15 Mb service and tests were consistently 15. I told them that the problem was obviously down the road and I did not want my speed dropped. They dropped it anyway without my permission and I still had no service. A day later somebody got in the new mini dslam and discovered that a tech had been in the unit and left something disconnected. The tech told me that my speed could have changed where it was. In the meantime because of my speed change(decrease), my price for life went up $15. The tech then told me that the new mini dslam was not installed right and so it will only be used by me since it won't increase the speed for any nearby customers. Seems like a bunch of kangaroo techs to me. The contractors working for Centurylink should be working at Mcdonalds. Any ideas why they put in the new mini dslam? It doesn't seem to be benefiting anybody. In fact my pings are a little bit higher.

A couple of years before I finally kicked Century Link to the curb they sold me up to 10 Mbps. Afterwards I was getting a solid 3 Mbps but not over. They sent a tech out that worked on it for 3 days before he gave up and flagged my account to not be able to get over 1.5 Mbps and they moved me back down. I argued I was getting 3 so why not at least set my account to that and they refused. Every time you talked to them they would sign you on to a new 1 year plus contract. The last time they went up and I decided to leave they came out with the price for life which was more than I had been paying. Thank goodness I overcame my fear of the Mobley deal and got on that. I hope I NEVER have to go back to CL.

/ Starlink
Dish is wanting some of the Starlink bandwidth to do their 5G. The rush to start testing the Starlink network may be to help fend of Dish's demand for some of their band width.

Hopefully Elon will realize that the way to get what he wants is to grease the skids by paying off the FCC bureaucrats. Seems cynical but that's the way the Swamp works. :dollarsign:

/ Starlink #106  
^^^^ Annnnnndddd ..... back to the P word.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dish's abuse of a handicapped employee turned me off to them forever. I hope they get put out of business.

/ Starlink #107  
Dish needs to go away.

Dish went away in my household some time ago. That was a phone call that I enjoyed.

I believe that Elon Musk is on to something here that may help us all. I don’t want to see anyone holding up progress of it especially out of greed.

/ Starlink #108  
Dish went away in my household some time ago. That was a phone call that I enjoyed.

I believe that Elon Musk is on to something here that may help us all. I don’t want to see anyone holding up progress of it especially out of greed.

Yes, we did away with dish, many years ago. One thing after another, finally convinced me to move on and set a TV antenna up. First they wanted $150 to replace the remote they rented to me, then wanted make me pay more for HD content that EVERYBODY was getting for years. Was on the phone "negotiating" with them, and all of a sudden, static on the TV. Wife says, "What did you do??", I told them to cut the service. I hadn't been rude or used my customary ticked off language. So we watched a month or more recorded TV while i got the antenna up.

/ Starlink #109  
Received in email:

The Starlink team is now accepting addresses (instead of just zip codes) at starlink.com, which will improve our ability to provide location specific updates as our network develops. Please click the link below to update your address:

Starlink private beta begins this summer with public beta to follow. If you are signed up for updates, we will notify you if beta testing opportunities become available in your area. Thank you for your interest in Starlink!

/ Starlink #110  

Never had Dish so I can't comment on it one way or the other.
Have no use for Musk, I think he's just a huckster. It's only a matter of time before his house of cards collapses (unfortunately, leaving others to pick up after him).