Starlink

/ Starlink #2,041  
I just installed my dish and I've got to say, I was super duper totally excited to drill two 1 inch holes through the brick to fit the molded connector. I've installed things like this my entire life and that they consider this a self-install kit is surprising.
If you disconnect the cable from the antenna all you need is a 1/2" hole,
is does disconnect when a good straight pull.

/ Starlink #2,042  
On a positive note, Musk opened up Starlink to try to help Ukraine.

/ Starlink #2,043  
Does that apply to the new dish? It did not appear to be able to disconnect hopefully I'm wrong

/ Starlink #2,044  
Are you speaking about the new dish or the old (round) style?

/ Starlink #2,045  
The new rectangular dish the cable will disconect

/ Starlink #2,046  
It does take more of a pull then feels comfortable, I actually contacted tech services about mine as I couldn't see how that big L shaped connector would fit through a decent sized hole.

/ Starlink #2,048  

I didn't realize Starlink service area potential had grown so outside of the USA. Our fiber optic to the house works ok. I was never keen on have dishes.

As much as we want better Internet over here, I think the Ukrainens need it more then we do at the moment. Starlink is better posisioned to actually help in a warzone better than most other companies or even countries. Just need to get some Dishys over there & the birds are already overhead. Need groundstations in the vicinity, but I think some nearby countries would be willing to help out on that front. I suspect the legitamate Ukranien governemet won't object, although the soon to be ilegitamate Russian pupet government might. Not much the Russians can do about it unless they start shooting down satelites & that's going to be in the same league as launching nukes these days.

Geosynchronous satellites orbit over a fixed location. The Starlink birds orbit at a much lower altitude so travel above the surface at a pretty good speed & are only overhead for a small period of time. So they need a large number of birds to orbit so there is always a bird over a given location. Then you need a large number of orbits to cover the whole country. The side benefit is, those satellites cover the rest of the planet, not just the US.

The first generation of Starlink birds didn't have crosslink funcationality. So you need to be able to have line of sight to a bird & that same bird needs line of sight to a ground station to get the signal back down to earth. That means a bird can only cover a few hundred miles at a time. The 2nd generation of birds have a crosslink capability so that they can talk to other satelites. That way if the bird you are talking to can't see a ground station it just forwards the traffic to another bird that can see one.

/ Starlink #2,049