Starlink

/ Starlink #2,751  
+1 on Ookla, but I have had reasonable experiences with others, except for carrier specific speed tests which have to be used on that network only. If you can, run your speed test over an Ethernet cable plugged directly into your fiber modem, with an Ethernet adapter capable of 1Gbit/sec. Anything else gets into testing your WiFi configuration, distance to the modem, and local interference.

Of course, once you confirm 100Mbit/s at the modem, and only 50Mbit/s on your phone, you will probably want to start exploring some of those pesky WiFi issues, including how old is your phone, MIMO support, what all do you have on your network, and can you partition your slower devices such as IOT and older electronics onto your 2.4GHz network instead of your separate 5GHz network. I am not a fan of 2.4 and 5GHz networks sharing the same SSID, as I have seen too many networks get snarled up due to one device that doesn't play well with the concept of moving dynamically between one and the other.(DFS)

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,752  
On my router the 2.4 will sometimes stop working, but the 5G will still be working.

/ Starlink #2,753  
For fun I just ran speed tests from three test providers. I’m on StarLink using a wifi only iPad (2020) 12ft from StarLink router WiFi . Lots of variables to consider I’m sure.

OOKLA 72/9
Speedcheck.org. 27/6
AT&T 63/9

FYI, StarLink advanced app says router to internet is 68/7

/ Starlink #2,755  
This is weird. This is first time my app has shown anything in the Network box. It was always grayed out before and you could not access it
IMG_5520.JPG

And there is an update to the speed test in advanced mode. It now shows speed across WiFi.
IMG_5522.JPG

/ Starlink #2,756  
Internet sharing?

I managed a 4-plex at one time all rented to college students.

The had a single account and shared password and had great cheap internet.

It would seem this could be a neighborhood thing but so far my only encounter was in a single 4 unit building.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,757  
And starlink won’t let me cancel the deposit on my home unit I ordered. The link to cancel doesn’t work.
And I accidentally placed an order on that account instead of my RV account which has separate login.

/ Starlink #2,758  
This is weird. This is first time my app has shown anything in the Network box. It was always grayed out before and you could not access it
View attachment 757004
And there is an update to the speed test in advanced mode. It now shows speed across WiFi.
View attachment 757005
I looked at my Network box and see 8 devices connected. Huh??? Further investigation I see devices I don’t think about. Like an Ecobee thermostat in the shop and a Roomba vacuum cleaner. :eek:We’ve come a long way baby. :) (Roomba, what a waste of $$$).

/ Starlink #2,759  
I looked at my Network box and see 8 devices connected. Huh??? Further investigation I see devices I don’t think about. Like an Ecobee thermostat in the shop and a Roomba vacuum cleaner. :eek:We’ve come a long way baby. :) (Roomba, what a waste of $$$).

Me thinks you need to lock down your network. That's crazy that things like that are allowed to connect out-of-the-box.

Or am I mistaken on the connections and they were added by you?

/ Starlink #2,760  
Me thinks you need to lock down your network. That's crazy that things like that are allowed to connect out-of-the-box.

Or am I mistaken on the connections and they were added by you?
I added them but my point was we, or I, have started to take this connected stuff for granted.
I haven’t put a password on my StarLink setup yet as I’m pretty remote. (Country life!) Lazy too about passwords. Getting old helps. :)