Starlink

/ Starlink #2,733  
I lose service at a sprinkle of rain.
That's not the case here. We've lost service due to weather for about 20 minutes once in the 18 months we've had Starlink. It was in the middle of a HEAVY storm. The rain was coming down so hard, I could not see even a hint of the railing on our deck about 10 feet outside our window. We've had other heavy storms, but nothing like that. The other heavy storms slowed things down, and maybe had a drop for a minute or two. A normal rain is not even noticeable in our internet performance.

/ Starlink #2,734  
A light rain doesn't bother mine, a moderate one will definitely slow it down, and a heavy one will case it to loose service.
I've lost service a half a dozen times from rain or snow, for any wheres from 10 minutes to almost a half hour.

/ Starlink #2,735  
Unfortunately, I have not had much rain to deal with yet but fully expect to see outages. We need rain!

The outages I see now are more network issues and no signal received than anything else. Normally 2 to 16 seconds at a time. A couple of times I saw no interruption in the past 12 hours but that is rare. But I have yet to have a problem that interrupted our normal internet activity.

I am very happy with SL so far. I never dreamed we could have reliable internet here. Worth every penny to me.

/ Starlink #2,736  
It is much faster most of the time and a bit more reliable then the line of sight wireless system I used to use.

/ Starlink #2,737  
I think SL lose due to rain is much like my PV, more a factor of the cloud cover/density. Most days I get a full charge even with rain, but occasionally I can see real degradation even if rain seems light.

/ Starlink #2,738  
I have been on the wait list since feb 2021. I was looking online at the accessories. It looks like the longest cable to connect the dish is 100 feet. How are you all overcoming that limitation. I was hoping to mount it on a post or pole in the front yarrd/field. With the wind we get here, mounting on the roof seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

/ Starlink #2,739  
I have been on the wait list since feb 2021. I was looking online at the accessories. It looks like the longest cable to connect the dish is 100 feet. How are you all overcoming that limitation. I was hoping to mount it on a post or pole in the front yarrd/field. With the wind we get here, mounting on the roof seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
They have a 150’ cable now you can purchase. It comes with 75’. Not sure what could be done if you need longer.

/ Starlink #2,740  
I'm not sure how windy it is where you are, but I'm located on a hilltop and get frequent wind gusts of 50+ MPH.

Like you, I was a bit concerned about mounting the SL dish on the roof. I've had a satellite TV dish up there for many years which has never been damaged. Since the SL dish has a smaller profile, I decided to give it a try. It's been up for 4 months now and through several wind storms with no issues.

I did take one precaution though. Instead of using the SL roof mount, I used the same one that came with the TV dish. It's made of stainless steel and a bit stronger.

The base has holes for 10 bolts and the SL mount only 2.

I also ordered the 150' cable mentioned by K5lwq above.