Starlink

/ Starlink #1,161  
Steps for larger deployment as I understand it stand at;
  • The orbital planes are supposed to be full toward the end of next month.
    • But who knows if the new satellites will all make it to "their" target orbits
  • Availability of the "Lower cost" antenna, perhaps the rectangular one filed with the FCC
    • This may also be dependent on chip supplies opening up
  • "Optimized" network for stability and speed
When these will occur is anyone's guess at this point... I'm still waiting...;)

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,162  
Where do you find the information?

/ Starlink #1,163  
The internet... I check google news for Starlink news, space.com, wccftech, Reddit,.... pretty much anywhere I can find an item. There is a lot of pure speculation out there.
Starlink isn't exactly pushing information out.
This astronomer has a nice site for information on satellite health and orbits;

Can you tell that I can't wait to get out from under AT&T? :eek:
Two and half weeks of DSL going up and down, and they can't seem to find something to fix, but I get nice calls from their customer service group daily confirming that they see the issue, too, (but no progress or action). o_O Sigh. I am hoping that DSL plus Starlink might yield reliable service.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,164  
Has anyone else noticed a drop in Elon's "better than nothing" internet service lately? When I first signed on it was 6 hops to the internet. I'm now 11+ hops and connections are starting to resemble xplornet quality service.

I've seen downloads up to the 200Mbit range but uploads are struggling to break 5Mbit. Typically I am seeing under 50Mbit downloads with frequent drop outs, VOIP and video chat is a struggle at times.

At least starlink doesn't blame the end user's network for service problems the way xplornet does.

/ Starlink #1,165  
No, my service has only improved since I started in March. I can't speak to the hops because I haven't checked that. But I use it all day every day for working from home over a VPN with many hours worth of WebEx/Zoom/Teams and VOIP. Been quite solid for me. Also, my earlier video streaming issues for things like Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, YoutubeTV are no longer problems.

The only thing I can speak to as a negative is the speed fluctuation. My speeds vary greatly, from 30-ish Mb/s to over 200 (averages in the lower 100's). Unsure whether this is expected because of inconsistencies in connections as sats move past or if this will improve as the full constellation comes into service. That said, it has never been 'slow' in a way that has impacted my use. I only notice because I do speed tests a lot to keep tabs on things.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,166  
uploads are struggling to break 5Mbit. Typically I am seeing under 50Mbit downloads with frequent drop outs, VOIP and video chat is a struggle at times.
Sub-50Mbit download and 5Mbit upload is 10x my existing Hughes service. At least.

I don't struggle with VOIP or video chat-- since it would be ridiculous to even try.

I need a substantial upgrade just to get to your level of problems. :LOL:

/ Starlink #1,167  
As more people sign on, will speeds stay the same, or will they drop like a rock like they did on my old satellite internet. When I first signed up speeds were great, but kept steadily falling. Up to the point it was too slow to use. I’m wondering with this system once beta stops, along with its limited number of users, and goes whole hog into use, will speeds equil hughesnet.

/ Starlink
#1,168  
As more people sign on, will speeds stay the same, or will they drop like a rock like they did on my old satellite internet. When I first signed up speeds were great, but kept steadily falling. Up to the point it was too slow to use. I’m wondering with this system once beta stops, along with its limited number of users, and goes whole hog into use, will speeds equil hughesnet.
According to Elon Musk, Starlink's goal is 1tbs when the whole system is up and running. One can't really use current Beta testing as a indicator of future operational performance. There are currently 1,800 satellites but 30,000 will obviously have a huge impact on speed.

/ Starlink #1,169  
will they drop like a rock like they did on my old satellite internet.
I'm guessing speed might degrade as volume increases, but maybe not as bad as Hughes.

The Starlink sats are much lower orbit; therefore, less distance faster speed. More sats = less saturation but I don't know the "capacity" of each Starlink node compared to a Hughes satellite. Seems Starlink is much more distributed across lots of smaller units.

Apparently Starlink uses a lot of satellite-to-satellite comms which are near instantaneous, whereas Hughes (and similar providers) do a lot of comms from ground-to-space-to-ground, which is one factor causing the poor latency.

If I could get 50MB down and 10MB up I'd be very satisfied ...... even half of that is much more than what I have now ....

/ Starlink #1,170  
There certainly will be more sats and ground stations coming on line in the next year or so. As mentioned, who knows where things will end up with performance, but from everything I've seen they are serious about offering a quality product so I'm hopeful. The fact that they are already producing well over 200 Mb/s right now during beta with a bare minimum of infrastructure is a positive thing. And for the target customer base - those rural customers with very few other options, most of which are SUPER SLOW - this is a game changer. Even if speeds dropped some it would still be leaps and bounds better than most.

Remember, Starlink's infrastructure is nothing like traditional satellite internet. They will have WAY more satellites in orbit and far more ground stations. Plus, the sats are in orbits around 340 miles up, versus 22,000 miles for Hughesnet. That shorter round-trip distance is what improves latency. The receiver is also not a single antenna, but rather an array of dozens of modules that can track different sats and seamlessly transition connections as the sats move overhead. Hughesnet connects you to a single sat that you always communicate with. I think this makes Starlink less susceptible to weather disruptions.

One correction, rekees: I think you meant 1Gb/s. Even hard wired datacenter connections on fiber don't approach a Tb/s.