Starlink

/ Starlink #1,611  
Bud thats a huge stretch, for a normal user no, most won't see a difference, but to say there is no actual difference is utterly incorrect.

the fastest i have ever seen wireless do is about 700mbit, that is optimal condition, which almost no one ever gets.

if i moved 1 room over its barely 200mbit. 5GHZ doesn't even work more then 2 rooms away in my house, 2.4 still is the main transport in my house, and I am the only one for miles. 5ghz simply doesn't go through my walls. This was after doing a wifi audit of the house for finding best placement.

my house i rewired for ethernet, I routinely saturate 1gb with various tasks. it also isn't affected by walking 3 feet to the right.

95% of the wifi i deal with or use, can barely break 100mbit let alone 1g. wifi still kind of blows for VOIP as well.

Most folks I know in the corporate IT world work on wifi, whether in the office or when they are WFH. The percentage of people who *need* connections more than like 20 Mb/s to do normal jobs or anything at home is small. 200 Mb/s is monstrous, especially since you're posting this in a thread about Starlink, which is a ISP offering aimed at rural users who have very, very low average speeds compared to city dwellers.

My comment was about the fact that *most* users work just as well on wifi as ethernet and I stand by that. Sure, there are special cases out there but the percentage of folks who would find a decent wifi connection (paired with an ISP that exceeds the speed a decent wifi connection supports) is tiny. You can find edge cases to contradict me on but that's not the norm.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,612  
Most folks I know in the corporate IT world work on wifi, whether in the office or when they are WFH. The percentage of people who *need* connections more than like 20 Mb/s to do normal jobs or anything at home is small. 200 Mb/s is monstrous, especially since you're posting this in a thread about Starlink, which is a ISP offering aimed at rural users who have very, very low average speeds compared to city dwellers.

My comment was about the fact that *most* users work just as well on wifi as ethernet and I stand by that. Sure, there are special cases out there but the percentage of folks who would find a decent wifi connection (paired with an ISP that exceeds the speed a decent wifi connection supports) is tiny. You can find edge cases to contradict me on but that's not the norm.

Rob
I'd say for what i've seen, most can use WiFi just fine, assuming good coverage, but the key thing, is good WiFi coverage.

/ Starlink #1,613  
I'd say for what i've seen, most can use WiFi just fine, assuming good coverage, but the key thing, is good WiFi coverage.
Definitely. Which is why mesh systems are so great in homes.

/ Starlink #1,614  
It's the same reason we don't see many optical drives any longer and the floppy has been gone for forever.
Yeah, I don't miss floppies at all, and CD-Rs very little. About the only thing I use the CD drive in my PC for these days is ripping songs from CDs to digital files. Haven't used them as archives in probably 10 years. Flash drives or a NAS are so much better for that!

/ Starlink #1,615  
Just inquired about Starlink service, as a "new customer" using a nearby address:

CA- Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.

NV- Starlink expects to expand service in your area by late 2022 to early 2023. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.

I think this is the first time I have seen the "its currently at capacity" message ...

/ Starlink #1,616  
Just inquired about Starlink service, as a "new customer" using a nearby address:

CA- Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.
I had something similar when we first moved here and I tried to sign up for satellite internet (Wildblue). A couple neighbors mentioned the same thing. Not really sure what that was all about. A couple months later I got a notice that it was now available. This would have been ~ '05/06.

/ Starlink #1,617  

NV- Starlink expects to expand service in your area by late 2022 to early 2023. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.

I think this is the first time I have seen the "its currently at capacity" message ...
Starlink breaks up geography into hexagonal cells of about 13 mile diameter. They have some max capacity within each cell. They may have changed the message but this has basically been what they have been saying all year when a person inquires and their cell is 'full'.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,618  
Finally got an email from Starlink, not what I was hoping for. Went from mid to late 2021 to mid 2022.

/ Starlink #1,619  
No email from Starlink, but I just checked my account and as of this morning it was showing MTL '21, this evening it is showing March '22.

/ Starlink #1,620