Starlink

/ Starlink #1,711  
How in the heck can a fiber setup be getting substantially different from rated speeds? They must have oversubsribed the area or something. That's ridiculous. So is $8500 install fee if the fiber is already 'on the street'.

/ Starlink #1,712  
How in the heck can a fiber setup be getting substantially different from rated speeds? They must have oversubsribed the area or something. That's ridiculous. So is $8500 install fee if the fiber is already 'on the street'.
Yes, fiber is 'on the street', that is the cost to trench and get fiber to my house, my driveway is 1/4 mile long. There are 11 homes on my 2 mile dead end street and only 3 that I know of have signed up for fiber service. We are rural enough that the folks at the local Verizon store don't expect 5G to ever come to our area. Fiber provider claims to deliver 2Gb/s down to business's, but only a max of 100Mb/s to residential. I asked my neighbor what he was getting for speeds and his pissed off reply was "not what I am paying for", so I don't know exactly what speeds he is getting. I got the impression that when his 2 year contract was up, he was going to do something different.

/ Starlink #1,713  
I pre-ordered Starlink last February, pushed back to mid'22 now. I was able to get T-Mobile 5G home internet about a month ago after being on Hughesnet the last ten years. Getting around 120 mbps down, 40 up, $50 a month and no data limits. I'm not canceling Starlink yet, the delay gives me time to see how good this 5G internet will be.

/ Starlink #1,714  
I pre-ordered Starlink last February, pushed back to mid'22 now. I was able to get T-Mobile 5G home internet about a month ago after being on Hughesnet the last ten years. Getting around 120 mbps down, 40 up, $50 a month and no data limits. I'm not canceling Starlink yet, the delay gives me time to see how good this 5G internet will be.
T mobile is the tower that is "closest" to us, but we are down in a bit of a valley, so I would have to rig up a system at the top of our hill, and run cable back 1500 feet to our house due to all the trees and no line of sight.

/ Starlink #1,716  
Yes, fiber is 'on the street', that is the cost to trench and get fiber to my house, my driveway is 1/4 mile long. There are 11 homes on my 2 mile dead end street and only 3 that I know of have signed up for fiber service. We are rural enough that the folks at the local Verizon store don't expect 5G to ever come to our area. Fiber provider claims to deliver 2Gb/s down to business's, but only a max of 100Mb/s to residential. I asked my neighbor what he was getting for speeds and his pissed off reply was "not what I am paying for", so I don't know exactly what speeds he is getting. I got the impression that when his 2 year contract was up, he was going to do something different.

OK, well that explains is a bit better. When I heard 'on the street' I was envisioning a city neighborhood with short runs from street to home. A 1/4 mile driveway complicates things.

That said, I wonder why the provider chose to run fiber in your area with to-home install costs at those levels? In a fair market they would end up with very few actual customers so it wouldn't be worth it. I suspect either they received gov funding to run the fiber down the road as a rural broadband program (that was poorly thought out) or else the fiber was just going by for some other endpoint destination. They certainly didn't do that an an investment they felt would pay off with lots of customers.

/ Starlink #1,717  
That said, I wonder why the provider chose to run fiber in your area with to-home install costs at those levels? In a fair market they would end up with very few actual customers so it wouldn't be worth it. I suspect either they received gov funding to run the fiber down the road as a rural broadband program (that was poorly thought out) or else the fiber was just going by for some other endpoint destination. They certainly didn't do that an an investment they felt would pay off with lots of customers.
As I understand it there was some folks from NASA who lived in the area and NASA helped fund the install so the employees could have quality internet access at home. My house was previously owned by one of those NASA employees, but he wouldn't pay the bill to get from the street to the house either. He was using ViaSat for internet access. I was not going to sign a 2 year contract with ViaSat for their 5Mb/s download service. Our road deadends at the end of the peninsula, so no other endpoint destination.

/ Starlink #1,718  
T mobile is the tower that is "closest" to us, but we are down in a bit of a valley, so I would have to rig up a system at the top of our hill, and run cable back 1500 feet to our house due to all the trees and no line of sight.

You may not have to go completely to the top to get good signal, my son didnt. This is the cable he used snd he ran 6 lines for any future use. A 2 line should be cheaper.

/ Starlink #1,719  
   / Starlink #1,720  
Why in the world would you need a 6 strand fiber? I can run 32 homes on 1 strand