Starlink

/ Starlink #2,101  
Our Golden Ticket arrived today. 🕺🧞‍♀️🥳🎉

As the pole adapter is on back order, I did a little fabrication on the DRM under eave mount, adding two stainless 1/4-20 bolts threaded from the inside out (0.88" and 1.88" down), aligning their sides to make a key to match the Dishy key way, which is 0.01" larger, with retaining nuts from the outside. There is about 0.03" difference between the OD of Dishy's support and the ID of the DRM mount (1.4"). As it is a temporary setup, I elected not to shim it or cut a retaining clip. I used a dremel to cut a slot in the threaded end of the bolts to ease the installation.

I have to say that I am impressed with the range on the Starlink router; at 50' 5/5 bars on my phone, at 80' inside the house, 4/5 bars. It took three minutes or so of looking skyward before swiveling around to the NNW.

Still awaiting the Ethernet adapter and pole mount for the final install, but so far, so good.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. 37ms ping, and about twenty five times faster than our DSL. Can't wait to try webex video.

/ Starlink #2,102  
Still chugging away with frontier at a whopping 1.5mps, hoping for that starlink golden ticket soon.
I'm with you my internet today was a whopping 250kbps, hoping Elon starts sending to Pa in the near future

/ Starlink #2,103  
Our Golden Ticket arrived today. 🕺🧞‍♀️🥳🎉

As the pole adapter is on back order, I did a little fabrication on the DRM under eave mount, adding two stainless 1/4-20 bolts threaded from the inside out (0.88" and 1.88" down), aligning their sides to make a key to match the Dishy key way, which is 0.01" larger, with retaining nuts from the outside. There is about 0.03" difference between the OD of Dishy's support and the ID of the DRM mount (1.4"). As it is a temporary setup, I elected not to shim it or cut a retaining clip. I used a dremel to cut a slot in the threaded end of the bolts to ease the installation.

I have to say that I am impressed with the range on the Starlink router; at 50' 5/5 bars on my phone, at 80' inside the house, 4/5 bars. It took three minutes or so of looking skyward before swiveling around to the NNW.

Still awaiting the Ethernet adapter and pole mount for the final install, but so far, so good.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. 37ms ping, and about twenty five times faster than our DSL. Can't wait to try webex video.
Congrats on your golden ticket, hoping for mine soon

/ Starlink #2,104  
I hope so, too. Just like power, there should be fiber to every home in my opinion.

It was 9,384 long hours for us from placing the order, and way longer from signing up originally. Pre-Covid Living At Work with one of us at home was barely ok on a DSL line. Two, with the preponderance of video calls, not so much. A flickering bar of Verizon service is the only alternative.

I first had a DSL line in '94, and the speed doubled in '07, but no improvement in actual speed in the last fifteen years, while websites became "richer" in content, aka bloated, so a continuous deterioration in user experience.

I hope with Starlink we can have some elbow room.

Finger crossed for all of you, and may your orders or fiber arrive promptly!

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,105  
Just got the Starlink dish 2 weeks ago. Installed on garage
roof a week later because of snow issues.
Initial speed tests were from 90 to 180 mbs download.
Great improvement from Centurylink dsl: 6-7mbs.

Waiting for the ethernet adapter for our wired network.

As I am not the patient sort of person, I thought I'd try a hack:
To stand in for the missing ethernet adapter I took a tp-link
wireless extender and ran a cable from the wired port on it
to my wired network.

It worked.

The resulting connection speed is degraded from the starlink
router speed but is still far above the dsl speeds.
We get 30-90 upload speeds. Everything on the wired network
functions well.

Your milage may vary if you try this. I admit it was a gamble,
but it has been stable and speedy so far.
The usual cautions apply to any adaptations to your existing
equipment and this may not work for everyone.
(I have heard that you must make sure your wired network does not
have another router on it, this could be a problem).

Of course, my experience may not be yours so take care in deploying
any changes to your equipment. I may be irresponsible and impatient
so don't follow me.

I will put the Starlink adapter in if it ever arrives

/ Starlink #2,106  
I'm with you my internet today was a whopping 250kbps, hoping Elon starts sending to Pa in the near future
I don't think it's always a matter of location. Starlink is trying to keep from "overloading" it's network by limiting the number of customers in a given area.

A friend who lives a mile from me here in northeast PA. got Starlink a year ago. I signed up a month after he did and it took over a year before I received the email that my equipment had been shipped. It should be here early next week.

/ Starlink #2,107  
I install Fiber Broadband for a living and as we all know or should know a wired connection is always better than wireless. But most folks just use the wireless and then ***** about the speeds. However, these work from home folks that are in the medical field. HIPAA Requires a wired connection, no wireless is what I have been told from these folks. I wonder how they deal with that if on StarLink? Now I did my own research and found that you can use wireless and be in compliance with HIPAA if security measures are taken but everyone of these Data Entry folks I have installed for says no, must be wired according to their employer. Some of these folks don't even have a wireless card in their Company Provided PC.

/ Starlink #2,108  
I install Fiber Broadband for a living and as we all know or should know a wired connection is always better than wireless. But most folks just use the wireless and then ***** about the speeds. However, these work from home folks that are in the medical field. HIPAA Requires a wired connection, no wireless is what I have been told from these folks. I wonder how they deal with that if on StarLink? Now I did my own research and found that you can use wireless and be in compliance with HIPAA if security measures are taken but everyone of these Data Entry folks I have installed for says no, must be wired according to their employer. Some of these folks don't even have a wireless card in their Company Provided PC.
IMO, wired connections are required more for security reasons than speed.

Starlink has an ethernet adapter which bypasses the wireless router and allows a direct wired connection.

/ Starlink #2,109  
I've seen a lot of new laptops that don't even have an ethernet port.

/ Starlink #2,110  
I understand StarLink has a wired Ethernet Adapter. My question is Security from the Dish to the Satellite and back. Is that piece encrypted and secured to meet HIPAA Guidelines? I'm assuming so. And if you think you can run the same speeds wireless as opposed to wired you are sadly mistaken. In my Business you have to have a wired ethernet port to work on our equipment as well as most if not all IT Industry jobs. If your machine doesn't have a NIC Card then you can get a USB to ethernet adapter.

Last edited: