Starlink

/ Starlink #2,501  
   / Starlink #2,502  
In March when there was a bunch of snow on the roof, a fellow installed dish in the location shown in the attached image. There is a large oak tree with some branches that hand out in the path of the dish. Since the tree has leafed out we have experienced some buffering with YouTube TV that we did not experience prior to the leafing out. At this point I don't want to cut down the oak and the plan is to relocate the dish to the gable area on the upper roof indicated by the arrow in the image. I think it will clear the branches and give a better field of view.

The fellow who did the original install used a Direct-TV mount that penetrated the roof, not what I anticipated. When I asked him about relocating the dish and mounting it with a Starlink short wall mount or some other kind of gable mount with a pole, he was reluctant. His point is that he knows how to do the DTV mount and it has confidence in that so.....

I would prefer an installation with no roof penetration, but I have to find someone to make the climb onto the roof and do the mechanical part. What are some options for mounting the dish on the roof gable in the image? Seems like the short wall mount might not allow the dish to clear the roofline given the direction the dish has to point.

1654721456985.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 66
   / Starlink #2,503  
I recently purchased and received the StarLink ground mount pole. 88” long total. (My days of climbing on ladders and roofs are behind me. :giggle: ) My issue is the pole and attached rectangular dish, with two feet buried, will be much taller than I’d like at 7 plus feet. I’d like somewhere around 4 foot tall total. Cutting the pole doesn’t appear to be a simple option due to the design, pipe flairing and cable entrance and oblong exit hole near the ground.
Has anyone encountered this and found a solution to shorten?
Thanks

D8D80327-014F-40D3-BF26-096E6EB624B1.png

3AD11E74-AB4C-4230-9643-4967A7B4D709.png

/ Starlink #2,504  
For anyone interested, the Starlink mesh router is available ar Starlink.com

/ Starlink #2,505  
Lots of mounting options discussed in reddit

/ Starlink #2,506  
In general, I find the posts and comments/recommendations here more useful than those at Reddit or Facebook. So, I'm hoping for some wisdom from the experiences of others here....

/ Starlink #2,507  
In general, I find the posts and comments/recommendations here more useful than those at Reddit or Facebook. So, I'm hoping for some wisdom from the experiences of others here....
Well, in that vein, I used all of these for two different mounts;
#1) Well built under the eave mount to rafter (A+) (detailed above in another post)
Dishy slides right into it, though I would recommend something to keep the dish from rotating in the breezes. (I built a small key way from two nuts and bolts.)

#2) Fascia mount, with this nice kit of sealant and bolts;

Looking at your upper roof, I would go with #2 if you do not have a rafter there.

Starlink makes and sells mounts that should also work;
Starlink
I would use the smallest one that clears your overhang.

As far as location, I would also consider putting Starlink on one of the gables to the left of your photo. Dishy is oriented toward behind the photographer, suggesting that either of those two gables would have good views. For me, it might come down to where it is easiest to run the Starlink cable, and where I needed the router to be.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,508  
I used an old satellite TV mount, with U bolt to secure in place
IMG_0282.JPG

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,509  
I recently purchased and received the StarLink ground mount pole. 88” long total. (My days of climbing on ladders and roofs are behind me. :giggle: ) My issue is the pole and attached rectangular dish, with two feet buried, will be much taller than I’d like at 7 plus feet. I’d like somewhere around 4 foot tall total. Cutting the pole doesn’t appear to be a simple option due to the design, pipe flairing and cable entrance and oblong exit hole near the ground.
Has anyone encountered this and found a solution to shorten?
Thanks

View attachment 749437
View attachment 749438
Dig a hole an extra 3' deep?

/ Starlink #2,510  
Decided yesterday to get my refund from Starlink. I've had T Mobil home internet since November '21 when it first became available here and so far it's performed very well with speeds from 75-200 mbps depending on the time of day. $50/month is pretty good too. I had put my deposit down in February '21 and Starlink still showing mid '22 in my area.