Starlink

/ Starlink #3,681  
If you are ok with your service, feel free to ignore this.

If you aren't happy with the service, there is a lot of useful information in the debug section of the app. Have you checked the app for the list of outages? Have you checked to see whether you have any packet losses getting to the Starlink router, and whether the Starlink router loses any packets talking to Dishy?

Obstructions matter to contrite of service, but as there are more satellites in service, it will become less of a problem. If your obstructions aren't zero, I would check to see what might be done to help Dishy out.

Our service was initially good, but then got spotty, and it was traced by Starlink support to a bad router/cable/Ethernet adapter. Having replaced them, we have had almost no outages of two seconds or more.

We went to some effort to make sure that everything downstream of the Starlink router is faster than it is, and all of the WiFi access points are faster than the electronics.

Sure, mine slows a little in the evenings, but slow is 40-80Mbits/s, still with 40-80ms pings. That's a big improvement on 3-5MBits/s DSL, so we are happy.

All the best,

Peter
Glad you're happy. I could be happier.
Basically I see the speeds are 3-5 times faster in the middle of the night vs daytime with Weekends being the worst. aka oversold.

/ Starlink #3,682  
Glad you're happy. I could be happier.
Basically I see the speeds are 3-5 times faster in the middle of the night vs daytime with Weekends being the worst. aka oversold.
Are you on 'best effort' or regular residential service?

/ Starlink #3,683  
Mine varies considerably also, I've seen as low as 5Mbps and as high as 200+.
I'm on regular residential with absolutely no obstructions.
In my opinion the considerable difference in speeds is likely at the down link station.
And it is definitely time related.
However it is still much better then my previous line of sight wireless provider was,
and the phone towers around here are about worthless, 5mbps will be fast on them.
We will never see 5G out here the cell towers have too much area to cover the 5G doesn't have the range.

/ Starlink #3,684  
On it's worst day, Starlink is 50 times better than DSL was on it's best day.

/ Starlink #3,686  
Regular residential service. There is no wire internet available. We can get cell tower service but it's spotty too.
I'd be surprised if your throughput speeds varied that dramatically on regular residential service plan without having some local issue at play. You claim your dish has zero obstructions, so we'll rule that out. What do you see when you open the Starlink app, go to 'Settings', then 'Advanced', then 'Debug Data'? Are there any items listed that are not 'green'? In the middle of that Debug page, where there are 4 circular graphs for ping drop rate and ping latency what are the values for those 4?

SL is known to be sensitive to cable issues. If there is any possibility that your cable is kinked/bent or pinched (such as by a tight cable clip/stay or other fastening device, or by where it is run through a wall, etc. that could be leading to issues.

/ Starlink #3,687  
I'm seeing the same thing as scootr. Residential plan for about a year, pretty fast at first, but now really bogs down during the day and especially dinner time and later. This area had subscription limits for a long time, but now I understand they've been lifted. I've seen the same oversold problems with every internet access system I've had, stretching all the way back to telephone modem days. I don't have any internet choices other than satellite were I live now, and even with the congestion issues, Starlink is still the best option going for me.

/ Starlink #3,688  
I'm seeing the same thing as scootr. Residential plan for about a year, pretty fast at first, but now really bogs down during the day and especially dinner time and later. This area had subscription limits for a long time, but now I understand they've been lifted. I've seen the same oversold problems with every internet access system I've had, stretching all the way back to telephone modem days. I don't have any internet choices other than satellite were I live now, and even with the congestion issues, Starlink is still the best option going for me.
We're averaging 40-50 down. I did see an 8 down on the Xbox once. At 4am it was over 190 down.

/ Starlink #3,689  
Starlink has been working flawlessly since installed. We got rid of our Cricket Moxee mobile hotspot, that was a pain. We had to call to have it cancelled and also removed tethering from 3 phones. Our cell bill dropped from $165/month to $90/month. Will probably drop most of the data from the kid's phone next for more savings, it never leaves the house anyway.

/ Starlink #3,690  
Well got a email we are unlimited again. No more data caps although we never came close. But looks like the have changed the expected results and have more levels now. Standard is the one most of us will have. But you can get up to 250 Mbps down for $250 and priority over the standard folks. Still am happy so far even with slow peak times.