Starlink

/ Starlink #3,881  
Mine points north here in Southern CA. I'm sure this will vary by location and satellite coverage.

/ Starlink #3,882  
Mine points north here in Southern CA. I'm sure this will vary by location and satellite coverage.
It generally does. In the Northern hemisphere, Dishy mostly points north. Since the Starlink orbits are inclined with respect to the poles, optimal will generally be straight at the pole to average the north heading satellites and the south heading satellites (same satellite on the return trip). There are reports that on the East and West US coasts, Dishy seems to orient closer to NW on West coast, and NE on the East coast, with some suggesting it was done to reduce bandwidth congestion.🤷‍♂️

Personally, mine originally pointed due north, and then after six months or so, a new firmware revision dropped, and it shifted to the NW. Either way, zero average obstructions for me. YMMV.

@Torvy Again, your phone is your best friend on this one.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,883  
Here's a fine situation, what would you do (mostly for those who have Starlink already).

Just got the email saying I have 7 days to accept my regular Starlink as it is ready.

Do I cancel that or cancel the roaming one?

/ Starlink #3,884  
Here's a fine situation, what would you do (mostly for those who have Starlink already).

Just got the email saying I have 7 days to accept my regular Starlink as it is ready.

Do I cancel that or cancel the roaming one?
Are you going to use it in multiple locations? That means you're going to install it in such a way as to make packing it up and taking it with you fairly simple? If that is true and important to you then you likely want the roam version.

/ Starlink #3,885  
I ordered the roam version because I was on an undefined wait list. This is for our home property. It will feed two buildings about 15' apart. The roam was just waiting a couple of weeks to fulfill the order.

How much better is the residential version? Basically, what I need to know is more about do I take the bird (almost) in hand or wait for them to ship the other one here (2-3 weeks?)

Wife will probably consult on occasion and will need reliable service.

/ Starlink #3,886  
I don't know what the service prioritization differences are with 'roam' versus residential. Back when RV plan first came out it was deprioritized against all other residential service in the cell. If that is what 'roam' means that still may be the case. Up to you to research that, but just know that prioritization matters. How it would affect you at your home depends entirely on the amount of other SL customers in your cell (which you can't really know).

/ Starlink #3,887  
Roam is and will be deprioritized relative to residential service.

While you could get the roam sooner and hope that at some point in the future you could upgrade it to residential, I think that your long wait list experience argues that getting residential in the future will not be quick.

I would take the residential service in three weeks, over the roam version in a week. That's from someone who wrote to SpaceX the day they announced asking to be permitted to be an early adopter. (Not that it got me anything; I think we were eighteen months behind @BigBlue1 in actually getting service.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,888  
Thanks. I'll try to get in contact in the morning to see how shifting will work. My roam system is already on the way...should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

/ Starlink #3,889  
Prioritization still exists. Cost is another issue.

In early-mid-2022, I needed internet at the place we bought out in the boonies. At the time, you could not buy the dish/router if you were in a service-not-yet-available region - period. I rather desperately needed the Starlink equipment and service to be able to maintain COVID-era work-at-home. Without an at least somewhat reliable internet service at the new house, I would have had to endure an ugly ~150 mile commute through the Wash., D.C. suburbs to/from my office every day.

To obtain the hardware, when I placed my order I identified an installation location in an area where service was already available (out west), but had the dish/router hardware shipped to my house in the east, knowing that we would soon be moving (btw, Starlink quickly caught on to people doing this "end-around" and stopped allowing it because it was adding congestion in areas that were already short on available bandwidth).

Initial cost was $99/mo., but only a few months later pricing had gone up. However, by this time, roaming had become available, so we shifted to a roaming plan at $120/mo. (which shortly became $145/mo.) to get "legal" and hopefully get better service.

During this time, Starlink had not launched enough satellites yet to support the demand in our region. As a result, initially the de-prioritized performance was downright terrible. I had to add a T-Mobile cellular Home Internet and an strong external cell antenna (cell reception out in the boonies is terrible, too) to have a back-up, which was frequently used.

Performance has slowly improved over the last year, but even up to a month ago there were definitely times in the evening when performance slowed to a crawl (when everyone with standard residential service is home using up bandwidth on Netflix or YouTube).

Fast forward to now: Last month a slot opened up,* and we were able to shift to standard residential service. Cost dropped from $145/mo. to $120/mo. The bonus is that because we are no longer de-prioritized, bandwidth and reliability have significantly improved -- so much so that this week I canceled the T-Mobile Home Internet service and have boxed up their receiver/router for return.

I suppose the real questions are how urgently do you need the service, and are you willing to put up with "generally satisfactory but occasionally lousy" roaming service.

*We actually started with a separate reservation which remained pending while we were on roaming to maintain work-from-home. When the earlier reservation finally came around last month, we explained that we had moved to a new home, already had the equipment from our roaming service, and only needed to be shifted from roaming to standard residential. Starlink customer service was kind enough to oblige, and we canceled the earlier reservation.

/ Starlink #3,890  
@Torvy just to be clear; you have a roam kit arriving momentarily? If so, you should be able to contact Starlink and have it upgraded to residential, like @Mark N.

All the best,

Peter