Starting problem click click

/ Starting problem click click #1  

handy Mandy 2009

Tractor
Mahindra 2816 hst
2009 Mahindra 2816
Diesel 3 cycle. Mitsubishi
When I turn the key after the glow plug light goes out. I hear clicking under the dash. I can get it started by putting a screwdriver on the solenoid. Is the solenoid the problem or is there a relay that is the problem?

/ Starting problem click click #2  
Likely not enough voltage to the solenoid, generally caused by resistance in the low amperage ignition wiring and / or safety switches. Check the voltage at the solenoid while trying to start the machine.
A popular fix is to add a starter relay, so the relay is activated by the OEM wiring, then the relay provides power to the solenoid directly from the battery.
IMG_4445.jpeg

/ Starting problem click click #3  
That's all good information and would probably solve your problem but you may want to try cleaning and tightening the battery connectors first. Don't neglect the ground cable where it goes to the chassis..

/ Starting problem click click #4  
That's all good information and would probably solve your problem but you may want to try cleaning and tightening the battery connectors first. Don't neglect the ground cable where it goes to the chassis..

True, and I should have included those preliminary maintenance steps. Another thing is to load test the battery itself.

/ Starting problem click click #5  
Due to fact Handy Mandy stated engine could be started operating by shorting across starter solenoid posts I seriously doubt battery is faulty or battery cables are this tractors no start problem. But it never is a bad idea to clean/tighten all 4 battery cable connections. My guess is as others stated that circuit that contains starter control relay is at fault.

/ Starting problem click click
Likely not enough voltage to the solenoid, generally caused by resistance in the low amperage ignition wiring and / or safety switches. Check the voltage at the solenoid while trying to start the machine.
A popular fix is to add a starter relay, so the relay is activated by the OEM wiring, then the relay provides power to the solenoid directly from the battery.View attachment 871930
Thank you for the diagram. Well explained. Yes battery is well charged and terminals are clean and tight. Nine grounds to clean on that tractor from engine to body and other electrical components. I did every one of them both sides. So that's like 18 points of grounds to clean paint off and make a good connection. A common problem with tractors made in India is the frame is already painted before anything electrical is attached. Therefore poor grounds off the hop.

/ Starting problem click click #7  
Well did that fix it?
My M4700 was experiencing similar problems.
Battery showed plenty of voltage.
Pulled the battery took it to NAPA.
Load test 1, said fine.
Load test 2 & 3 said replace.
Also bought a load tester.
Replaced about 2018. Fires fine since.

/ Starting problem click click #8  
2009 Mahindra 2816
Diesel 3 cycle. Mitsubishi
When I turn the key after the glow plug light goes out. I hear clicking under the dash. I can get it started by putting a screwdriver on the solenoid. Is the solenoid the problem or is there a relay that is the problem?
Is it the solenoid that's clicking or something else? Press your finger on the solenoid body and try to start it, you'll feel the clicking if it's that. If it is, it's the solenoid at fault. You can take them apart and clean up the copper contacts but it's probably better to just replace.

/ Starting problem click click #9  
I had that problem with my BX a whiles back. Took the starter off, took the solenoid apart and found a little tit of copper had grown on one of the contacts. Used a Dremel to remove it, cleaned up the contact plate and both contacts, put it together and put it back on. Started right up.
The round contact on the plunger cannot tip so it can make contact when the little tit builds up and prevents the plate from contacting both contacts, so the starter won't engage. Nor can it be removed and flipped over, unlike those on a lot of Delco starters could, so you just have to clean it up and reinstall it.

IMG_20191020_142521280 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20191020_143238292 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20191020_143248598 (Custom).jpg