Std. or HD pallet forks?

/ Std. or HD pallet forks? #41  
Actually, it’s bigger than that…

I have a mindset of making things easier in the future… easier on my worn and tired body…

QA means I dont Have to lift, twist, adjust or fasten the forks to my bucket… I’m sure they’d work fine once I had them connected but, to be honest, for me, the thought of attaching individual forks has me thinking… upfront money is “cheaper” than a visit to a chiropractor…:ROFLMAO:

That's a very good point, what's easy now probably won't be in 10 years.

/ Std. or HD pallet forks?
That's a very good point, what's easy now probably won't be in 10 years.
Or… in my case… I can’t always do now what I could have easily done 10 years ago…

As Toby Keith puts it…

/ Std. or HD pallet forks? #43  
I've been shopping for SSQA pallet forks for my new Kioti CK2610... lift capacity "in excess of 1800#" according to the Kioti website...

I can almost promise I'll never approach the max lift... I don't move downed trees, buy pallets of stove pellets, stack and move firewood or any other such thing... I'll be organizing my other implements on pallets, moving lawn furniture on a seasonal basis, carrying a 15 gallon spot sprayer... pretty much all light-duty stuff...

I've come across many "light duty" forks in the $500-600 range... unfortunately shipping is a killer, in many cases fully a third of the total delivered price is freight charges... (for personal reasons I'd like to stay away from Titan Attachments... happy TA owners, please forgive me...;))

I've pretty much settled on Express Steel forks... Made in America, reasonably priced and, most importantly, REASONABLE SHIPPING COSTS... (thanks to member "NYONE" for the ES recommend!)...

ES has two models: "Standard" which have a 4000# capacity, weigh 305# and cost $740 delivered...

Second option is "Heavy Duty" 6600# capacity, weigh 310# and cost $825 delivered...

For my purposes, the biggest difference, other than the price, is the HD model comes with a forged and machined top rail, the Std model has a "bent steel" top rail... either will work for what I'm planning...

I tend to look to the future... when it's time to move on and sell whatever implements I've accumulated over time...

The HD model seems a "no-brainer" to me... am I missing something?
You might try TSC they have free ship to store. They offer two very much plain Jane clamp-on sets; 1600# and 2600#.

/ Std. or HD pallet forks? #44  
Why buy chinese forks for the same price or more than US made one? Express steel, tomahawlk and others make them in the US.

/ Std. or HD pallet forks? #45  
My friend drilled a 3/4" hole in the end of one fork so he could use it to hookup and push wagons.

I've thought about doing this. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that forks are made of hardened steel, and thought it might be hard to do this. But I don't know why they'd be made of hardened steel, as the softest steels still seem plenty hard for this application.

Is drilling a hole in a fork tine difficult? Or is it just mild steel?

/ Std. or HD pallet forks? #46  
I got a set of cheapo bolt ons for my tractor buckets. I mainly use them to roll stuff back to the bucket that normally is hard to pick up without getting off the tractor and pushing and shoving. I think they would work OK for a pallet but I would not want to push it. They only cost $158 delivered.

Click here for a look-see>> Vevor clamp on forks

I received my Express Steel HD fork set the other day... it's probably gonna be a while before I get outside to start picking up stuff, but I thought I'd report back on my decision...

IMG_0170.jpeg

1st: $825 delivered to my door or place of business (I had them delivered to my work as they come strapped to a pallet and I didn't have a set of forks to unload the truck... well, DUH!!! that's why I bought them...) Std. forks are $740 delivered...

2nd: Made in U.S.A.

3rd: The HD forks have a 1/2" thick, machined top rail (the rail that holds the top hook of the forks)
IMG_0171.jpeg
Std. forks have a 1/4" thick, bent rail... either set would work for my purposes, my decision was personal preference...

4th: Each 42" fork weights 94.2 lbs (don't tell Julie I borrowed her bathroom scale...), the mast weighs 127 lbs (according to the affixed manufacturers label)... Tare weight for the set is just under 315 lbs...

Now... the bad...

So far the list is short (all I've been able to do is attach them...)

I've seen numerous YouTube videos of people attempting to attach aftermarket things to a tractors SSQA... most of the troubles occur when the lower, tapered pins engage the lower attachment bracket before the handle becomes totally locked down... and this was the case with the ES forks...

I ended up grinding about 1/16 - 1/8" off the back side of the lower mast attaching holes... that allowed the tapered pins to be slid into position... (looking up from bottom of fork mast...)
IMG_0172.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Std. or HD pallet forks? #48  
Your picture looks like the tractor mounted plate was not fully against the fork mounting bracket. Unless it is an illusion there is a gap.

/ Std. or HD pallet forks? #49  
Look at the lift spec for your tractor and buy the appropriately rated forks.

There is a gap at the bottom...
IMG_0173.jpeg
The tractors quick attach plate (red line) connects with the mast at somewhat of an angle... the mast lower square tube (yellow line) is more upright when attached to the tractor...

It's the top of the masts 3" square tube that mates with the tractors QA plate... (where yellow and red intersect)

Sounds like the SSQA bracket specs are similar to the 3-point quick attach specs... each manufacture has their own set of rules...:unsure: