STIHL MS500i

/ STIHL MS500i #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Was wondering if anyone has got one and if so how they like it. I put my order in for one the other day and dont really have any idea when it will come in but hopefully in the next month or so.
The fuel injection was a big factor in my decision as well as nice jump in hp over my current farm boss.

/ STIHL MS500i
Ended up getting the saw a a different shop on the other side of town. WOW - very impressive. Always had the Farm Boss and liked it but this is in a totally different league.
TONS of power and revs extremely quick. The fuel injection is worth it, starts on the first pull with almost no effort, hot or cold doesn't matter.
They are expensive but at this point I am glad I spent the money and now have a really nice saw.

/ STIHL MS500i #3  
Only negative I have heard is that they are thirsty. But I haven't run one myself to know. My 461 already swizzles fuel like crazy so I'd hope the 500i is not much worse.

/ STIHL MS500i
I read that somewhere also. I am not sure yet- didnt seem any worse than my old Farm Boss but I will have to pay attention. Wonder where the balance point is between the saw cutting faster vs more fuel is used? A slower cutting saw may use less fuel but you cut less wood so I would guess there is balance there? I am just using it at the house so Im not too concerned, I doubt I would use more than 5-10 gallons a year and that is a lot of wood cut in my case. I can certainly see where a guy running it 40+ hrs a week may have an issue if it sucks fuel.

/ STIHL MS500i #5  
Seem hit and miss if you get a good one or dud. Friend that logs loves his for felling.

This guys 500 was 1 month old running stihl premix.

Something about a sealing ring goes bad on injector. Under warranty they take care of it. Out of warranty $300 for just injector plus labor time. Then topend cost too.

s500monthold.jpg

/ STIHL MS500i #6  
That would suck. I rebuilt my MS250 for $100, new jug and piston and a few gaskets and I could have got by cheaper using lower cost parts. I realize a MS 250 is in a different league entirely but $300 for the injector, ouch.

/ STIHL MS500i #7  
Was wondering if anyone has got one and if so how they like it. I put my order in for one the other day and dont really have any idea when it will come in but hopefully in the next month or so.
The fuel injection was a big factor in my decision as well as nice jump in hp over my current farm boss.
If there are users of this saw, please post your impressions.

/ STIHL MS500i
"
Seem hit and miss if you get a good one or dud. Friend that logs loves his for felling.

Something about a sealing ring goes bad on injector. Under warranty they take care of it. Out of warranty $300 for just injector plus labor time. Then topend cost too."

Wow - first I heard of that. (99% of the forums seems positive.) Hopefully it was a one off issue.

The Stihl lightweight bar is worth the little extra in my opinion. Sort of balances the saw a bit better at least with the 25" bar. I am going to get a 20" bar so I can swap to that when I want something smaller but not sure if a lightweight bar is needed with a shorter bar.

/ STIHL MS500i #9  
362 still going strong after a few years. I am always nervous about new automated fuel control systems at my altitude. Hope yours works out great!

/ STIHL MS500i #10  
"

Something about a sealing ring goes bad on injector. Under warranty they take care of it. Out of warranty $300 for just injector plus labor time. Then topend cost too."

Wow - first I heard of that. (99% of the forums seems positive.) Hopefully it was a one off issue.

The Stihl lightweight bar is worth the little extra in my opinion. Sort of balances the saw a bit better at least with the 25" bar. I am going to get a 20" bar so I can swap to that when I want something smaller but not sure if a lightweight bar is needed with a shorter bar.

One word. Forums :ROFLMAO:. That says it all. They have active members in the 10-60 range.

I run a repair group of 45,000 folks. Who do you think is going to tell the truth about break downs. ;) We have 10000 to 15000 active a day.