STIHL MS500i

/ STIHL MS500i #11  
My old farm boss is 26 years old or there about. Still runs strong, but now needs maybe 4 pulls first time out to start, than restarts rest of day on one pull.
I have thought about replacing it, but it’s hard to get rid of something that is so reliable. I have seen some newer ones out there with easy twist chain release and tightening, etc, but there’s just too much plastic on them.

/ STIHL MS500i #12  
I found the "easy" tool-less chain tensioner on my MS250 to be harder to use than the regular type. Fortunately I still had the parts to convert it back. Not all of them can be.

/ STIHL MS500i #13  
"
Seem hit and miss if you get a good one or dud. Friend that logs loves his for felling.

This guys 500 was 1 month old running stihl premix.

Something about a sealing ring goes bad on injector. Under warranty they take care of it. Out of warranty $300 for just injector plus labor time. Then topend cost too."

Wow - first I heard of that. (99% of the forums seems positive.) Hopefully it was a one off issue.

The Stihl lightweight bar is worth the little extra in my opinion. Sort of balances the saw a bit better at least with the 25" bar. I am going to get a 20" bar so I can swap to that when I want something smaller but not sure if a lightweight bar is needed with a shorter bar.

Been running one almost daily since the first of the year without a lick of issues running 32’s and 36’s. One thing I’ve noticed with it is this isn’t a short bar saw they love cutters and aggressive grind chains. If you’re interested in a short bar saw look into the 462 it’s happiest with a 28 with a max of a 32 with semi skip chain.

My complaints with the 500 and 462 both air filters plug quickly as well as the anti vibration springs are soft for west coast work, plus the pull start handle are garbage.
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

This is of a 500 after a 6 hour day of cutting timber.

/ STIHL MS500i #14  
Was wondering if anyone has got one and if so how they like it. I put my order in for one the other day and dont really have any idea when it will come in but hopefully in the next month or so.
The fuel injection was a big factor in my decision as well as nice jump in hp over my current farm boss.
I have two, my first was the MS261 and it’s a beast. The MS series are seriously good saws. I imagine you’re going to love it. Pound for pound & dollar for dollar they’re the best value on the market. Every time I use mine it makes me smile. It’s a significant upgrade from the farm boss.

/ STIHL MS500i #15  
I was on a waiting list for months, but just picked up my new MS500i. I haven't cut a toothpick with it yet, but I'm impressed with what I see and cant wait to get it out in the brush... Time will tell.

/ STIHL MS500i #16  
If there are users of this saw, please post your impressions.

Love the saw. No matter what the job i seem to be grabbing the 500 even if its smaller. Only "complaint" is the air filter seems to get clogged up with dust and chips pretty quick. Only property use for me so its not a big deal to bring it in after a few tanks and blow off with the compressor.

/ STIHL MS500i
Used mine several times and am also very happy with it. TONS of power and is running flawlessly so far.

/ STIHL MS500i #18  
My old farm boss is 26 years old or there about. Still runs strong, but now needs maybe 4 pulls first time out to start, than restarts rest of day on one pull.
I have thought about replacing it, but it’s hard to get rid of something that is so reliable. I have seen some newer ones out there with easy twist chain release and tightening, etc, but there’s just too much plastic on them.
Make sure it doesn't just need a tune up kit and valve adjustment. :unsure:

/ STIHL MS500i #19  
Valve adjustment??

i would say that saw starts like most non computer saws 1-4 pulls cold start and once warm 1 pull rest of the day.

/ STIHL MS500i #20  
In the 2nd summer of using our Stihl KM 131R it wasn't starting all that well any more so I brought it back our dealership. A tune up kit and valve adjustment brought it back to two pull starting. This is what our dealer said he did to it. :unsure: