Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350?

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #11  
That JD is a good tractor. I've spent many hours on one just like that. I'm with you, you will never buy that tractor for 6 grand. Heck around here that tractor would bring 8 to 10K and maybe more. I see really good tractors hit the auctions around here all the time. People here will put them on the auction to alleviate the hassle of selling them and for the most part they will bring more than an individual sale, even with the commission. I wouldn't buy that Db under any circumstances.

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350?
I'm pretty excited about the Deere. It doesn't look beat at all to me, but maybe I missed something? The auction ends in 10 hours, so fingers crossed here.

The David Brown is actually the 1975 selectamatic with a Case loader.

I'm not nearly as excited about it, but it does seem in decent shape, if not as nice as the JD. I am a little worried about parts availability for it, but it seems like they're available after a cursory search. Good tires, 2000 hours. I wonder if since it was made when Case bought DB, if it would still have Lucas electrical? Hopefully I'll get the JD and won't even need to worry about the Brown.

DB2.jpg
img.jpg

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #13  
there is really nothing wrong with the david brown, they are well built machines and parts are not as hard to come by as you might think. lots of them sold all over the earth. i would be seriously considering weather you think 2wd will be adequate in Alaska though.

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #14  
Thanks for the replies.

Here in the PNW tractors are really expensive. I'm expecting that tractor to go for around $11,000, up to 13,000.

The david brown is a 990, which was the same as the CASE 990. Supposedly you can get parts for them through case. It should go for quite a bit cheaper.

I said $3,000 to $5,000 to bid and some one else said $10,000 plus. You are thinking it will go at $11 to 13K.
That wide a spread probably needs some talking about.

That is a desirable model of a desirable brand, looks to have all the parts plus an OEM FEL. 3pt. FWD.

If it were in better condition and 4000 hrs instead of 7000 and from a private individual I would say $10,000 would be a steal. I wouldn't have a problem in the world with recommending going as high as $14,000 if I knew the tractor and previous owner..., and I'd go even higher for a creampuff.

But that isn't what it is. What you have is a total unknown with high hours, not even washed, being sold at auction, and you can tell by the mismatched tires that chances are that maintenance has matched the somewhat neglected condition.
BTW, who doesn't even wash a tractor before selling it?

It may or may not have mechanical problems - but at an auction you have to assume that it does. Just because it can be started and runs doesn't mean the compression is up to starting in Alaskan winters. There are a ton of tricks to starting an old diesel.
And being able to move in gear isn't the same as having a good clutch and brakes. JD closed center hydraulics are simple.... but expensive for parts. Electrics? Cooling? who knows?
All of this makes little difference to a mechanic who simply factors it all in and bids accordingly. If that is you, then you may want to go much higher. I am one who who would go higher if I drove it around and liked the engine and tranny. It's that good of a basic model.

But auctions are based on people who are buying on hope instead of knowledge. And sometimes you get lucky. That works best if you have money you don't mind losing.
I wish that same tractor belonged to a trusted neighbor. Then it would be worth whatever he wanted for it. At least get an old JD tractor mechanic to go look it over with you. That should be easy enough to do. A couple hundred dollars is a fair fee.

BTW, the David Brown is not nearly in the same league. Not having 4wd is huge.
I wouldn't even consider it.
rScotty

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #15  
I said $3,000 to $5,000 to bid and some one else said $10,000 plus. You are thinking it will go at $11 to 13K.
That wide a spread probably needs some talking about.

That is a desirable model of a desirable brand, looks to have all the parts plus an OEM FEL. 3pt. FWD.

If it were in better condition and 4000 hrs instead of 7000 and from a private individual I would say $10,000 would be a steal. I wouldn't have a problem in the world with recommending going as high as $14,000 if I knew the tractor and previous owner..., and I'd go even higher for a creampuff.

But that isn't what it is. What you have is a total unknown with high hours, not even washed, being sold at auction, and you can tell by the mismatched tires that chances are that maintenance has matched the somewhat neglected condition.
BTW, who doesn't even wash a tractor before selling it?

It may or may not have mechanical problems - but at an auction you have to assume that it does. Just because it can be started and runs doesn't mean the compression is up to starting in Alaskan winters. There are a ton of tricks to starting an old diesel.
And being able to move in gear isn't the same as having a good clutch and brakes. JD closed center hydraulics are simple.... but expensive for parts. Electrics? Cooling? who knows?
All of this makes little difference to a mechanic who simply factors it all in and bids accordingly. If that is you, then you may want to go much higher. I am one who who would go higher if I drove it around and liked the engine and tranny. It's that good of a basic model.

But auctions are based on people who are buying on hope instead of knowledge. And sometimes you get lucky. That works best if you have money you don't mind losing.
I wish that same tractor belonged to a trusted neighbor. Then it would be worth whatever he wanted for it. At least get an old JD tractor mechanic to go look it over with you. That should be easy enough to do. A couple hundred dollars is a fair fee.

BTW, the David Brown is not nearly in the same league. Not having 4wd is huge.
I wouldn't even consider it.
rScotty
I dunno Scotty, that might be what the tractor looks like cleaned up. Looking at the engine pictures, at least, it looks like it may have been steam cleaned. Not seeing any grease that would normally be seen on a dirty, neglected tractor. It may only be neglected, but not dirty. I agree with what you are saying regarding "known history" vs a pig in a poke. I'd want to spend more than a couple of minutes on it.

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350?
Wow Rick. I'm shocked that one of them went for under $7,000. Who knows what it was like in person though. I do know that tractors in other areas of the country are MUCH cheaper. I've thought about buying and shipping them out here, but it would add $5,000 to the tractor. I still may do that.

Scotty, I agree with all of that. I can't believe anyone would pay full private party prices for anything at an auction. I buy a lot from auctions, mostly cars and equipment. I figured the tractor was worth $16,500 in this market if it was private party and in good condition with no surprises. I couldn't bring myself to go above $13,000 on it. Even then that didn't leave me much wiggle room for something going wrong.

It just sold for $17,000. :oops:

I'm still debating the David Brown. No it wouldn't be the tractor for me in Alaska, but we had to put off moving for at least a year, and I could always sell the tractor along with my property when I sell it. But I could probably get it for around $5,000, and use it until I leave. I'll probably pass on it though.

I'm awfully disappointed in missing out on that 2350. I was really excited about it.

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #18  
I don't blame you for being disappointed. That's just about the perfect make and model & with the right options.
But you are asking for advice here, and pretty much everyone is saying the same thing - that an auction is a too big of a gamble to be paying full price.

Ask yourself, "Why would anyone sell a good tractor at auction?" The way prices are today, he could just as easily sell it to a neighbor.... or to a neighbor who is a dealer.

But the good news is since you seem to be in the $12 to 14K range now, I'd say you are solidly in the running for a decent tractor from a private party.
There is too just much competition for anything online. And honestly, us rural people still prefer to do business locally.
Scrap the internet searches. And get out of the city. You are more likely to find a good tractor on a small town feed store bulletin board - not an online bulletin board, but the kind of bulletin board with 3x5 cards pinned to a cork board. Or a small ag town newspaper or sales sheet. Rural people still communicate that way. It avoids time wasting scams. Maybe you should put a "tractor wanted" adv. in one of those places.

Careful with the David Brown. That is a 2WD tractor with weight distribution for pulling, not for FEL work.
Does it have enough power steering power? That was a problem with many utility tractors of that era.
That's a small add-on FEL, with tiny cylinders, but it is still heavy. You should take a good look at how any add-on FEL is attached to the tractor. You want a full length sub-frame and no attachment to the bell housing.

Last edited:
   / Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #19  
My wife taught me about my buying habits 40 years ago,,
SPEND the money and get what you want,,
five minutes of sting today,, and you will be happy for a long time,,

Don't buy it, and you will be stinging with regret for a LONG time.

When I bought my 584IH,, I thought the $5000 price had a little sting in it,,
It turns out the tractor was offered to another guy for the same money,, he delayed answering as to whether he wanted it.

When I heard about it, we went to his house, wrote a check, and drove it off the property, in under 30 minutes.
The other guy? Over ten years after I bought the tractor, he was STILL telling me that the tractor should have been his,,
I never knew that I was not the only person interested when I bought it.

I have been enjoying the 584 for right at 25 years now,,
and I think I could even get my $5000 back if I wanted to sell it,,

W257XHM.jpg

/ Still looking for a tractor. What do you guys think of this JD 2350? #20  
sorry that you missed the JD workhorse. I think the DB is more of an antique collector item, not something to rely on for day to day usage