Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items?

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #11  
I'm using a Greenlee Job Box. Fits 3 saws, oil, gas, helmet, straps, choker slings, snatch block and still has room to spare. With wheels it will roll right under my work bench when I get to building it.
doesnt sound like its easy to lift in and out.

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #12  
If you arnt storing your saw in the box as well... the Dewalt TSTAK boxes are very strong and waterproof. Stackable as well

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #13  
This is what I purchased a few years back (for about $80 slightly damaged) to install on top of my box blade to store chain saw accessories.

KC

Attachments

• 20190902_163722 (1).jpg
    20190902_163722 (1).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 172

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items?
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The Dewalt, Milwaukee and Rigid boxes all seem sturdy and well made, but not large enough for my needs. My saws don't ride in the box, but I've amassed a fair amount of other gear. I seldom need all of it, but the idea is that I don't even have to think about what to take with me: saws, fuel, bar oil and throw in my box and I'm ready to go. If I need to travel lighter, I can pick a few things out of the box, but I seldom do that. (It seems as though every time I do, that's the time I wish I had something else with me.)

I do need something that is still easy to lift and move around, however, since this isn't going to ride permanently in my truck or be left locked up on a work site. The Greenlee seems like more of a lockable jobsite box that could be left on site, if needed, but a little big and heavy for my current needs. The aluminum ATV storage box is something I might consider adding to the tongue of my woods trailer (another future project).

So far, the leading contenders are the Pano Storage Trunk (probably in the next size up from what ArlyA suggested: Plano 68 quart Storage Trunk), or the IRIS 87.4 Quart Weathertight Storage Box

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #15  
I kind of wish I'd got the next size larger Plano Trunk but we don't have all that much room in the Boss's back.... :unsure:

Last edited:
   / Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #16  
Be sure these containers have lids that are tough enough to sit on. Me, I'd go with the Plano built one.

---------------------------------you say--------------------------------
So far, the leading contenders are the Pano Storage Trunk (probably in the next size up from what ArlyA suggested: Plano 68 quart Storage Trunk), or the IRIS 87.4 Quart Weathertight Storage Box

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #17  
I got one of the big hinged Plano sportsman trunks about 10 years ago when they were under $30 -- it's about 40" long with wheels on one end. Two latches in front, a latch on each end, and full piano-style hinge along the back. I should have bought several because it's been great and I sort of felt like it was a bargain in retrospect. I keep all my forestry gear in there when not in use, and can toss it in the back of my truck or RTV if needed. I think they are around $50 now.

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #18  
I know there are some great plastic boxes out there and Plano is one of them. But for me plastic, sun, and 0 degree temps don't mix long term. I use a Knaack tool box on my tractor which stays out doors. Mine may not be big enough for what you want John but they make larger ones too. My stuff stays dry. It is not gasketed but there are no open seems and the lid has a healthy lip.

ToolBox.JPG

gg

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #19  
So part of it is because I'm cheap & part of it is because what they get for a plastic tub / trunk is crazy to me, especially based on the quality on some of them. Don't get me wrong for specific tools & storage there are some real nice storage solutions, but for general catch-all boxes / trunks. I've been using coolers that I pick up used (tag sales / FB marketplace / etc), I can usually get a basic cooler in great shape (some look almost new) for like $5 - $15 for a 48 - 60qt (which is a pretty good size) & they have handles (some have wheels) are watertight, keep the mice out & are pretty rugged depending on the cooler... Bonus is most have drain plugs so if need be I just hose them out. I have one set up for my chainsaw stuff, one I keep the winch recovery gear in, etc.

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items?
I got one of the big hinged Plano sportsman trunks about 10 years ago when they were under $30 -- it's about 40" long with wheels on one end. Two latches in front, a latch on each end, and full piano-style hinge along the back. I should have bought several because it's been great and I sort of felt like it was a bargain in retrospect. I keep all my forestry gear in there when not in use, and can toss it in the back of my truck or RTV if needed. I think they are around $50 now.

Are they still weatherproof with that hinge? I was looking at those, but wondered of the hing compromised the weather proofing (seems like it would be tough to make a lip that formed the "seal".

If you get a chance, can you tell me the inside dimensions at the bottom of the box?
... and the outside longest dimension. I can't seem to find info on that online.