Straight cuts with plasma cutter.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter.
I did some experimentation today and the best thing I found was to use a wooden Home Depot ruler. The wood is 1/4" thick and, on my Thermal Dynamics torch, it fits just like Big Barn recommended/showed.

Thanks for all the good ideas

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #32  
I don't understand. I always use a straight edge and it has always been conductive. I guess I am using a Hypertherm Dragging style tip. My biggest issue is just finding a staight edge that accomodates the various diameters of the torch tip.

A week or so ago. DSC00196.JPG

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter.
I don't understand. I always use a straight edge and it has always been conductive. I guess I am using a Hypertherm Dragging style tip. My biggest issue is just finding a staight edge that accomodates the various diameters of the torch tip.

A week or so ago. View attachment 664700

Nice work there, Industrial Toys. I hope I can get that good with practice. From others they also use straight edges that are conductive and have not had issues. I'm only going by what my User's Manual says. I'm such a newby that I've managed to get my torch tip stuck to the work piece. It wasn't stuck hard but I did stick it.

Learning is a process.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #34  
# 1, aggravation from day one, me using the PLASMA. Tip getting stuck. Mostly, when I am trying to do a nice job. Never once when cutting up something for scrap.

BTW, I set fire to my gloves when cutting that tank. On account of the paint, but almost intolerable when cutting through the labels.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #35  
Paint sticks, yard sticks. Short stuff I do by hand, I been doing it long enough I can get close. Pic 3 oxy torch. No guide. Little jerky, I dont do it a lot or enough to be reallyyyy smooth. Can blow about 95% of the dross in the box. By the time I am done with it the stuff is really scrap.

Attachments

• cut great.JPG
    cut great.JPG
    732.3 KB · Views: 88
  • cut typ 2.JPG
    cut typ 2.JPG
    747.9 KB · Views: 101
  • cut scrap grate.JPG
    cut scrap grate.JPG
    727.7 KB · Views: 95
  • channel cuts 2.JPG
    channel cuts 2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 99
  • chop saw pile.JPG
    chop saw pile.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 101
  • bench tools bottom.JPG
    bench tools bottom.JPG
    738.8 KB · Views: 98
  • bench welder 4.JPG
    bench welder 4.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • boot weld.jpg
    boot weld.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
   / Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #36  
I dont look at a lot of utube but the thing with the drill is good. An old now deceased bud of mine, Franklin Domeres invented a deal called a Steel Beaver that was similar,,, way before a battery drill was a reality but it had a crank and clamped up any conventional torch. Its a neat idea and if I was cutting a lot or making bevels would do something like that and it could be quick to build. My stuff is so limited that if the line is straight I can cut it straight and use a simple yardstick that I have the feel for. Most of the time dont even clamp it, occasionally on one end for long sheets.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #37  
Paint sticks, yard sticks. Short stuff I do by hand, I been doing it long enough I can get close. Pic 3 oxy torch. No guide. Little jerky, I dont do it a lot or enough to be reallyyyy smooth. Can blow about 95% of the dross in the box. By the time I am done with it the stuff is really scrap.

That's some really nice blow torch work there. I wouldn't even show my torch work here. But the plasma I can cut it like a shear. BTW, I use angle iron with my drag tip.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #38  
I've always used a piece of 3" wide by 1/8" thick stock. The ridge on the tip of my plasma (Hypertherm PM45) rides nicely on the edge. If you're super concerned with a really nice cut, run a flap wheel over the area to be cut first. Fine grit. Remove paint, etc...

I never bother, as with a clamped on guide any small imperfections can be easily cleaned up with a flap wheel. One thing to note:

Always wear a respirator of some sort that filters out all the nasty fumes. Thought I was real cool a number of years ago until I cut up some galvanized and thought I was going to die shortly after. Respirator. I want to live a long life to use my tools. I want the same for all of you. :)